Some input please. Low oil pressure and tips on what I should at.

ThatOneKid

Apr 15, 2013
Minnesota
I just got a '87 Supra non turbo and I found I have low oil pressure (~20-30 PSI) and I was planning on going to a turbo oil pump at some point for better oil flow and was wondering what else I should look for while I have my oil pan off. The engine only has roughly 60,000 on it but wasn't treated very well. The only things I've done so far are spark plugs, wires, valve cover gaskets, distributor cap and rotor. And I took it oh the next day when it was 80 and my oil pressure had dropped what it is now. I checked that everything was hooked up and found nothing amiss. Any feedback would be great on both these subjects.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
The 7m doesn't have a very high pressure oil system. 20-30 psi is probably about right for normal driving. Look in the owners manual or the online TSRM for the exact measures.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
When at idle, my car is only making about 5-6 psi of oil pressure. 10k miles like that and its still rocking. But that's being judged off the factory gauge, which is not accurate. Throw a real pressure gauge on it to see what you make.

ThatOneKid

Apr 15, 2013
Minnesota
Okay thanks guys, I just found specs online and they were saying at 3,000 RPM I should be making 36-71 PSI. And backlash, that a good point, ill look into that. and yeah I believe idle should be about 4.5 PSI. and are there any precautions to installing the GTE oil pump I should know?Also, what gauges would you recommend? and can I mount them in the stock oil psi gauge's location in the cluster?

Last edited: