Solid pinion spacer question

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Buy a press, don't use a hammer.
Expect to press it on and off a few times.
You won't damage the bearing taking it on and off the shaft a few times.

5uprahboy

Aug 22, 2005
Auckland
I have access to a press. I tried pressing the old front pinion bearing off and after cranking a LOT of pressure on it, I was worried about breaking something, so I resorted to a sledgehammer.

Perhaps the newly pressed on front bearing won't be such a tight fit on the pinion shaft and pressing it off wont be so hard.

Cheers!

Hunt

5uprahboy

Aug 22, 2005
Auckland
Ok - mostly all done. Have installed all bearings - including pressing the pinion bearings on. Naturally the pre-load wasn't quite right first time so will have to take it off and re-shim it.

I do worry that pressing the front pinion bearing off the pinion could damage it though?

It wasn't awfully tight to press on - but still took a decent amount of force...

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Try cleaning the shaft up a bit, might be easier the next time.
I haven't encountered any that felt as tight as you say yours is.

5uprahboy

Aug 22, 2005
Auckland
So I managed to have 3 goes at getting the correct bearing preload - first 2 were way too tight, and 3rd seems a fair bit too loose.

I don't have an inch/lb or kg/cm torque wrench though - does anyone have any DIY solutions I could use?

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
How much are you changing the shim stack per try?
Usually takes a couple big changes to fall within 10-15 in/lbs.
From there you want to make very small changes < .001"
Torque the pinion nut to a minimum of 150 ft/lbs & measure the preload with an in/lb wrench.
If you don't have one, find one or buy one, without it you are shooting in the dark.
Not really much to it beyond that, have to use a calculated systematic approach.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
as suggested, inch pound wrench is the only really way. One with a dial on it is best since you meausre moving tq, not the break away tq to get it spinning.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
You need to be measuring and recording breakaway torque and rolling torque regardless.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
So the OP doesnt get confused, if he is recording breakaway tq and rolling tq, what is he aiming for when he is dialing in the spacers for the tq value given? Is the tq spec breakaway, or rolling?

Ive only ever recorded rolling tq, and used the speced tq value to that.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
OK. Supra 3rd members must be a little different. I have only setup Toyota truck carriers, chevy carriers and ford carriers, and each time Randys Ring and Pinion stressed rolling tq on the bearing.

Sorry if I confused anyone.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Rolling torque is still a useful measurement to be taken even if its not called out in the manual.
Typically rolling is 2-3 in/lbs less than starting torque.

5uprahboy

Aug 22, 2005
Auckland
Piratetip;1993898 said:
Its stated clearly in the FSM (at starting)
Page: RA-25

In the TSRM, page RA-28 states to measure drive pinion preload AT STARTING of 0.5-0.8NM

Then it states to check total preload of 0.4-0.6NM

What's the difference between drive pinion preload and total preload?

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Pinion Preload is only for the Pinion Bearings.
Total Preload is referring to the Carrier Bearings only.
They should have re-worded it IMO.

So the reading you get from the total preload is actually the pinion + the carrier combined, since you are turning both at once.
Just subtract the pinion preload numbers from the total preload to calculate the carrier preload.

Hope that clears up the mud.

5uprahboy

Aug 22, 2005
Auckland
I'm a little confused to the TSRM's wording lol

RA-25's reference of 'check front bearing preload' assumes the diff is assembled, so you're checking both the pinion and carrier bearing preload combined? Which is why it's a higher 1-1.6nm?

Then what is the 'measure the drive pinion preload' at starting of 0.5-0.8nm referring to? Is that just the pinion bearings on their own, i.e. you would test this without the carrier/ring gear in place?

Thanks!

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Honestly they really messed up the manual IMO.
ONLY use pages RA-35 - RA38 for setting preload.
They make much more sense, since the carrier is removed from the case when they spec the pinion bearing preload.

Make sure you notice the difference between use and new bearings as well.

5uprahboy

Aug 22, 2005
Auckland
Have managed to track down an inch/pound torque wrench.
Hope to get it tomorrow and finish the diff off tomorrow as it's the last chance I'll have to do it before the dyno on sat!