Soarer 1jz Ecu- ELS

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
ok i think ive found my idle problem, there is supposed to be an input to the ECU marked "ELS" for the "external load input".

i looked on the mkiv wiring diagram which also has an ELS input to the ECU.

the wire is coming from what is labeled as a diode "for idle-up" with 3 wires total.

1. Blue/Red- from the diode to the MIR-HTR 10A Fuse
2. Red/Yel- from the Diode to the ELS pin on the ECU (pin 15 on the 2jz ecu and it is located on the (19 used) 28 pin total ECU plug on the JZZ30 ECU)

3. Grn/Org- from the diode to the Panel Fuse 10A

the wiring diagram says that this diode is located behind the left side of I/P which i am assuming means intake pipe.

does anyone have a picture of this diode?

c_ronius

1jz 4Runner
Jan 2, 2007
Tampa, FL
www.rsworld.com
I don't think it should cause an idle problem... I ran with mine disconnected for a while with smooth, normal idle. when I finally hooked it up, the only difference is it bumps up idle a bit when I turned on the parking lights (no heater hooked up yet).

I'm pretty sure it just senses loads on the circuits it's attached to, and bumps up idle to compensate for the higher electrical load. helps keep it from bogging down when powerful electrics turn on. But the car should idle somewhat normal without it.

I would love to hear one of the experts advice/explanation on this circuit as well, however.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
ive done some more research and what you said c_ronius is the gist of it.

i think basically all i really need is a part number for the component that interfaces with the leads from the two fuses, to the ECU. im guessing it would just plug right into one of the free plugs on my wire harness?

i have another question which is related to my problem, my AC idle up lead is also not wired in.

from what i can gather is that this simply needs a signal from the AC clutch to tell the ECU that the AC is running?

so can i splice that in from the power going to the AC clutch and give that to the ECU as well?

c_ronius

1jz 4Runner
Jan 2, 2007
Tampa, FL
www.rsworld.com
The component is a diode, Mine came out of the Soarer in the jdm driver side kick panel. I have no idea if it is present in the supra, but my 94 4runner does not incorporate one for this purpose.

I don't know much about different types of diodes... but simply, they only allow power to pass one way, like a check valve. The diode you need has 2 inputs and one output, so the ecu can feel the power from each circuit on one line, but each circuit cannot backfeed into the other because of the diode.

I think.

Some of the electrical gurus around here should be able to point you to an aftermarket source for the diode, if your supra doesn't have it.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
c_ronius;968189 said:
The component is a diode, Mine came out of the Soarer in the jdm driver side kick panel. I have no idea if it is present in the supra, but my 94 4runner does not incorporate one for this purpose.

I don't know much about different types of diodes... but simply, they only allow power to pass one way, like a check valve. The diode you need has 2 inputs and one output, so the ecu can feel the power from each circuit on one line, but each circuit cannot backfeed into the other because of the diode.

I think.

Some of the electrical gurus around here should be able to point you to an aftermarket source for the diode, if your supra doesn't have it.

im pretty sure the 7M ECU dosnt use a diode for that purpose. thanks for the info! id like to try to find a toyota replacement part but if that isnt possible ill have to get one at the electronics store.

thanks a lot for your insight. youve pointed me in the right direction.

do you know if what i said about the A/C input on the ECU is correct?

c_ronius

1jz 4Runner
Jan 2, 2007
Tampa, FL
www.rsworld.com
Glad to help...

I'm not sure of the A/C connection. I have not done my homework on the function of all the A/C wires yet, as I still need to get mine hooked up as well.

As far as factory wiring is concerned... On the ECU, pin 20 of connector C86 is a BL-R wire, and it connects to the A/C computer (pin 4, connector O2) in the Soarer.

I'd bet the wiring is the same (color at least) on your Supra A/C computer??

Maybe someone else can chime in on the specifics of the signal, and where you can splice it in on the Supra.