So many options to choose from. MS3? Haltech? AEM? Something else?

A70BoosTFienD

A.K.A. Knight Rider
Oct 28, 2008
Orlando, Florida, United States
With all the changes from when some of the more beneficial threads about standalones were posted and now, alot has changed in the market and technology. Once I had my heart set on a system someone comes and gives me some possibly biased information that sways my mind away from my original idea. With that said i want to know what would be the best option for me and what i want to do with my car. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give a reasonable argument or justification as to why one system has an advantage over the other i.e. tuning capabilities, scaling options, safety, reliability, noob friendly interface, on-the-fly kill mode ect.

Right now i have a 1jz with a Drewgo Mani, 38mm Precision routed WG, PT 6266 .68 read A/R, other BPU's on the car tuning with an SAFC-II/BCC combo on 440cc injectors on the car now. I have a BDPC top feed with ID1000cc injectors here now and want to run E85 via flex fuel or race fuel if that is possible for a or the same sensor to pick up. The cars main purpose will be a street-able weekend circuit car with possible anti-lag/2step capabilities. In the future will be doing a 1.5jz with built internals, high CR pistons, cams, head work, ect.

What do you all think?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
A flex fuel sensor only measures the ethanol content in the fuel. So it cannot tell if you are using 87 or 110 gas.

It can tell you if your using gas or ethanol or anything between tho.

Imo i would skip looking into an aem v2. I havnt dealt with the infinity which is supposed to be nice but is quite a bit expensive.

Also my opinion but your best bet is to invest once and just start off with building a new harness with all new connectors and wire. It will help eliminate any possible future issues or concerns.

Of the cheaper ones megasquirt is my favorite. There software is super easy to learn and is constantly being updated around the users inputs and suggestions. It has a massive user base and tons um.lof helpful support on the msextra forum.

the emu masters ecu looks to be of a pretty similar design but i have not used tho i have checked out its software which looks pretty easy to use.

next on my list would be pro efi and after that motec. The motec m84 prices are slowly dropping making it slightly more affordable to be a motec user.

A70BoosTFienD

A.K.A. Knight Rider
Oct 28, 2008
hvyman;2041552 said:
A flex fuel sensor only measures the ethanol content in the fuel. So it cannot tell if you are using 87 or 110 gas.

Imo i would skip looking into an aem v2. I havnt dealt with the infinity which is supposed to be nice but is quite a bit expensive.

Also my opinion but your best bet is to invest once and just start off with building a new harness with all new connectors and wire. It will help eliminate any possible future issues or concerns.

Of the cheaper ones megasquirt is my favorite. There software is super easy to learn and is constantly being updated around the users inputs and suggestions. It has a massive user base and tons um.lof helpful support on the msextra forum.

the emu masters ecu looks to be of a pretty similar design but i have not used tho i have checked out its software which looks pretty easy to use.

next on my list would be pro efi and after that motec. The motec m84 prices are slowly dropping making it slightly more affordable to be a motec user.

Thank you for your input. How do you feel about the haltech? and ive been hearing nothing but problems from people when it comes to megasquirt. everything from reliability issues to tuning problems but with no real basis so im assuming its just uneducated assumptions. i really want the megasquirt too and hearing about the support side is a real plus

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
most problems with megasquirt are user inflicted. especially true with the ms2 as it takes quite a bit of hard ware config. ms3 pro is super easy to deal with same as ms3 with 3x.

I do not have experience with haltech sorry.

FernandoDLT

Apr 13, 2007
Texas
I dont get how people can choose MS over AEM V2 unless money is just very tight. Check with PHR, I just bought an AEM Infinty for $1150 new! No brainer.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Aem v2 is a lost cause. Barely got flex fuel late last year when it was supposed to have had it when it came out. Support for it is basically done and aem has moved away from it to the infinity.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I went with the ms3Pro after doing a little research and basically doing what you're doing...........asking for opinions and suggestions. The Ms3pro will do everything I need a stand alone to do. It also got me to redo my wiring harness which is sorely needed. Now I feel my car will run a lot smoother once I get it tuned. I have everything installed now, but it will be this weekend before I can download my start up tune and start adjusting things. Hopefully this weekend everything goes smoothly and I'm praising the megasquirt instead of setting my car on fire. I've received some helpful info from hvyman through this process and I'm sure if he's every in the dirty south, I'll buy him a steak dinner or veggie burger of his choice.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I have a emu, and have two aem v1's in the past. if i were to do it again, i would by a MS3 pro and wire it up. There is just so much information on MS and the way i am rewiring my whole harness its a no brainier now I should have done MS. I do like the EMU, and loved my aem v1's, but the v1's won't do everything i want them to so I had to upgrade.

If you are looking for a good pnp ecu id go with an emu, or aem v1 since they can be had super cheap still, it just blows they discontinued support for them

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
i am running ms3x and love it ! if you have questions and facebook there is a ms helpline messenger group ive started that has a few of us helping eachother out a couple 7ms a couple jz and bryan dyer who is going uz in his supra if youd like i can add you and you can ask away

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Well so far mine hasn't ran. It did crank with some help from Kyle, but then the next day it wouldn't crank for shit. I tried all day with some local help from Jason. He has a 1jz'd supra with megasquirt. Something is bad off in my timing somewhere.
Mr. Freak, you just accepted me in the facebook forum. I'm Jay Hayes and I will be asking some questions on there as well. It sucks that I'm so close but yet I can't get it to run. When it did run, It would stutter and die when I touched the accelerator. It also back fires like four M80's when it doesn't crank. I'm pretty sure I've fried my 02 sensor. Hell, it could be in pieces as loud as my explosions were. I hope I didn't blow up my brand new 4" exhaust....................ughhh

A70BoosTFienD

A.K.A. Knight Rider
Oct 28, 2008
jdmfreak;2043820 said:
i am running ms3x and love it ! if you have questions and facebook there is a ms helpline messenger group ive started that has a few of us helping eachother out a couple 7ms a couple jz and bryan dyer who is going uz in his supra if youd like i can add you and you can ask away

Please do if you dont mind. ill send you a link to my fb page

Zach

ECUMaster USA
Apr 6, 2005
TX
hvyman;2041552 said:

Please don't group us in with MS :) Yes, the ECU is budget friendly, but it's a professional product and comes with full support and a 24 month warranty. The software is extremely straightforward and we've got an active and growing community of users and tuners throughout the country. No other ECU has the same features built in at a similar price. Built in 4 bar MAP sensor, on-board wideband controller, 2 EGT channels, high current ignition outputs (drive coils directly, no need for an ignitor), optional bluetooth capability, etc. The EMU is $1099 with connectors and pins included, $1200 if you want the wideband sensor included, and plug and play adapters are available for most Supra applications. With many other ECUs you'll need to purchase the connectors and pins, wideband controller, and MAP sensor separately, so be sure you compare the total cost. We're adding new features almost every week, so check our forums for the latest firmware if there's a particular feature set you're interested in.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
I'll also agree that you need to talk to the person who will tune the car.

I have an AEM v1, and I'm thinking about upgrading to something newer. The v1 is good for what it is, but newer ECUs have better support (AEM no longer supports the v1 at all), better software, more options, etc.

I've considered a Haltech Platinum Sport 2000, AEM Infinity 6, Megasquirt Pro 3, and the ECUMaster EMU. The tuner I'm going to use sells/supports Haltech, but he can tune others. They all seem to have similar levels of support, features, etc. Some would need a new harness or adapter, some can plug and play. If you have the time/money, build a new harness.

Whatever you decide on, two features that are really nice: CAN bus support, so you can add modules/sensors/dash, and USB connection for tuning. My AEM v1 has a serial port, and you can't buy a new laptop with a serial port. I get crashes all the time using USB-serial converters.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
i have an aem v1 and it basically blew my last motor. somehow injector 6 would randomly not fire. we just found that out now, but there's no support anymore. i'm torn between ms3 pro and aem infinity. my tuner likes both. what do you guys think?

now for the second question..... who has the best prices on this stuff??????

Zach

ECUMaster USA
Apr 6, 2005
TX
gsxr141;2058779 said:
i have an aem v1 and it basically blew my last motor. somehow injector 6 would randomly not fire. we just found that out now, but there's no support anymore. i'm torn between ms3 pro and aem infinity. my tuner likes both. what do you guys think?

now for the second question..... who has the best prices on this stuff??????

Why on earth would you give more money to AEM after their product killed your last motor?

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
Zach;2058834 said:
Why on earth would you give more money to AEM after their product killed your last motor?

i'm not, lol. I decided to go with ms3, even though EVERYONE says to go with aem.