So, I think I have a BHG... Im pretty sure I do...

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
swaq said:
(1000 posts!)

If I think of a few stupid things to talk about tonight, I'll hit 5000.............:biglaugh:

Subscribed to see the final verdict. I'm hoping for the best though.

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
slidebabyslide said:
The dye is like 8 bucks, the guy at napa told to add it in the coolent. Because i did not want to pay 50 bucks for a thing that looks like a battery hydrometer

At work I think we have one of those testers, I think I saw one...

Jay, pray for me man.

Hopefully all will work out smoothly, even if it is a BHG...

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
good luck. but like i said...those hoses.... you have a leak either way. if its because of very high pressure that might just be a BHG, but you might be good. did you at least check the hoses? in your case, my guess is you will not find a stream of coolant while running the car but a slow drip-like leak that only leaves a mess for you to ponder....

but good luck with the exhaust testing! i'm hoping for the best!

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
Thanks man, Im gonna try my best to check it out later today. I couldnt tell if it was the hoses but there was an excessive amount of moisture ON the egr block coming from above it, so that leads to that, but when i turned on the car, let it drip, I didnt feel or see it coming from there but yet more n more was coming down to the ground, Im confused.

If it is that fuckin 90* hose, how hard is it to replace with the head on? I really, REALLY am dreading getting after that thing, I just as much assume swap the head haha

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
One of my hoses was cracked and leaked like that also. It might be the one your talking about. It was on the drivers side up under the head. Good luck with that but it can be done without removing anything.

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
Thanks guys, so guess what!

Im checking MY car out at 6 tonight, Ill keep you posted...

So a co worker tells me, his buddy has this car for sale.... long story short, Im getting an AWESOME deal on an 87 Turbo Targa 5 Speed with a BHG, Im gonna fix that and make that my toy :)!!!!!!!! I cant WAIT.

Again, will keep posted on current supra :)

Now I know I was bit by the bug... Im gonna be the proud PROUD I repeat owner, of 2 non running MKIIIs :)

Last edited:

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
Idealsupra said:
you know i think all "is this BHG" threads MUST have compression test results.... its so annoying...its a 10 minute test that will tell you a WHOLE lot

Im aware of this lol, Im taking her up to work in 30 mins and at 6 Ill be doin a presure test on the coolant system and a compression test on the cylinders, so Ill ask though, whats good compression? 150 right?

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
NewWestSupras said:
Park them both side by side, bring wheelbarrows of cash, open hatches, fill, repeat.

Well aware of this haha, gonna turn the N/A into my DD (as if it already isnt haha) and spend most of the car funds on the 87 turbo... I really dont make enough at all for 2 supras, but well see how it goes. Worst comes to worse you all get great deals on an 87 T part out haha.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
phoenix6 said:
Thanks man, Im gonna try my best to check it out later today. I couldnt tell if it was the hoses but there was an excessive amount of moisture ON the egr block coming from above it, so that leads to that, but when i turned on the car, let it drip, I didnt feel or see it coming from there but yet more n more was coming down to the ground, Im confused.

If it is that fuckin 90* hose, how hard is it to replace with the head on? I really, REALLY am dreading getting after that thing, I just as much assume swap the head haha

it has to be a hose. if you replaced the HG before and its leaking coolant out the side of the block...its blown hella bad and you did something WAY wrong. if you torqued it down past 80 i cannot see a BHG doing that....period.

the hose? i dont know how hard it would be to replace the 90 degree one with the head on....stick your hand back there and see.

looking at this pic;
sm_photo_missing.jpg

it seems, if i am correct in thinking that is the little 90 degree hose on the metal pipe that bends up and behind the engine....you are missing a hose clamp.

if that is the hose, and you dont have a clamp....GET ONE.

i think before you do anything else you should check all your hoses for clamps and make sure they are tight, or in place if they are the springy kind that you dont tighten.

another thing you might need to address in the future is leaky valve cover gaskets. dont forget to check your oil. i see excessive gunk and moisture below that hose at the back of your sparkplug valley... which is either oil or coolant or both...i cant tell. if its coolant, that is the hose that is leaking.

let me know if any of your hoses didnt have clamps or needed tightening. its a small thing but can be overlooked and you cant expect to be without leaks if your hoses aren't in proper order.:naughty:

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
oh and i forgot to say...you're missing your exhaust heat shields. and you should finger around or use a mirror to inspect that little rubber end cap on the pipe just below the 90 degree hose... i'm not sure if that pipe is in fact full of coolant but if it is, its possible that little guy is cracked as well....

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
Figit090 said:
oh and i forgot to say...you're missing your exhaust heat shields. and you should finger around or use a mirror to inspect that little rubber end cap on the pipe just below the 90 degree hose... i'm not sure if that pipe is in fact full of coolant but if it is, its possible that little guy is cracked as well....

NOT A BHG!!! It was the FROM HEATER hose, coming from the driver side firewall down into the metal piping behind the block. It took a while but we got the hose off and Im about to get a new one, thats where the leak was coming from.

In other news... my #6 spark plug gap area had HELLA oil filled up in it... new valve cover seals and clamps for the PCV hoses NOW!! haha, Im figuring it all out, I found a few leaks Im pretty upset about but at least... NO BHG...

On top of that I found out something else interesting. I filled the radiator and drove it to work, well after she warmed up she stayed cooler than normal, like a notch or 2, well, she also idled at 800 now like normal!! (since im at 14* advanced)

I talked to a mechanic here at work, turns out some cars idle higher when the system is a little hotter than normal, its the ISC that causes it due to wrong temps running through the coolant line.. makes sense to me, since it actually idles ok now haha.... On my way to new hose... WISH ME LUCk.....

Picking up my 87 Turbo soon too, god I cant wait.!!!!!!!

RedDogOIF

RedDogOIF
Nov 21, 2006
Elk Grove
I had to replace that 90* hose too from it dry rot, but I took off the valve covers to get it. This was when I replaced my EGR cooler gasket with the engine in....and now I'm taking off the head anyways to chage the head gasket.Good Times.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
phoenix6 said:
NOT A BHG!!!

On my way to new hose... WISH ME LUCk.....

Picking up my 87 Turbo soon too, god I cant wait.!!!!!!!

...what did i tell you :icon_bigg

you should check all your other hoses while you're in there. since one is bad there's a good chance more are....and incase you didnt know, dumping your coolant while driving is very bad and will cost you your engine. fix ALL your hoses if you know whats good for you.

now, for this turbo supe....how much did you pay?

pics coming? thread? if you have a moment and remember, PM me with the details as i might forget to check back for it.
:icon_razz

good luck w/everything

-Figit

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
::w00t::

That's all I've got to say about that.

But Lieutenant Dan, you ain't got no legs....................:biglaugh: