so i finally got my car on a dyno!

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
so my buddys shop finally got their dyno! they did a dyno day yesterday and i got to see what my car makes. the first pull was on wastegate which is 15psi. the other two were on 18psi with my boost controller. made good numbers on 15psi but on 18psi it was fading boost. ive known it fades boost but didn't think it was that big of a deal but it is!! you can see at 5000rpm it gained about 50whp then just faded to about waste gate power....15psi is what i like to autocross with so thats why i have such a low wastegate pressure. i guess when i dragrace just going to swap springs in the wastegate since it controlls boost so much better than any boost controller ive seen. either way im happy with what it did on 15psi and now i know that boost fade is not something to blow off if going for max power. my boost controller is cool to gain some power on the fly but it just doesn't control boost near as good as the wastegate. i could prolly fiddle with it to get it to work better but i don't think the two can be compared in precise control. can't wait to see how it pull this next weekend at drags. going to drop in springs for 20psi maybe 22psi with some leaded 110. should be interesting cause previously at the drags i ran oxgenated unleaded 104 at 20psi with boost controller but im sure it was fading boost bad. so it should really move compared to before and im thinking the 110 will be safer than the 104. and this is on a dyno dynamics which read lower than a dyno jet. the "corrected" numbers to a dyno jet was just under 400whp :biglaugh:

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
nobody has anything to say!? no even a peep? should it be moved to the dyno section or is this forum really that dead now??

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
WHat turbo are you running?

What boost controller?

Should be able to hold 18 psi with a 15 psi spring. Thats a good gain off 3 psi.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
i have a aem truboost. ive read about it quite a bit. some people have got it to work pretty good but still even then they say it varies 2psi ish. so say you want to run 18 it spikes to 20 then fades to 18. then some people have horrible boost spikes and got rid of the thing all together. really ive known it fades but didn't think its a big deal but it is especially for drag racing. my wastegate on the other hand holds boost perfect. heres a little run down of my setup.

2jz na-t (tt hg, arp studs, light port and polish on head)
ffim
hx35 7blade
tial mvr44
7m ecu with lex/550/safc2

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Can switch out the spring and just run 18psi spring.

Can like a dr jonez style mbc. Mine holds perfect.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
hvyman;2008729 said:
Can switch out the spring and just run 18psi spring.

Can like a dr jonez style mbc. Mine holds perfect.

my plan is to just run 17psi in the wastegate for autocross/daily then when i go to the street legals i'll swap springs. its not really that hard to do with my setup so i don't mind and think thats going to give me the best results.

atmperformance;2008741 said:
it's interesting to see that boost drop off, i just didn't want the first reply to be that :)

yeah i have a feeling its going to gain a lot bumping the boost up and having it hold! also going to be more in the efficiency range of the turbo in the 20's

scottiedawg66;2008780 said:
i am pretty jealous of your torque curve, i bet thats a really fun set up.

thanks!!! it really is fun! my goal was to have a reliable all around build that can be fast at autocross, dragracing, or track days so low end power and response was a priority. i hoping to get well into the 11's this weekend but i'll see :biggrinbo

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
black89t;2008699 said:
i have a aem truboost. ive read about it quite a bit. some people have got it to work pretty good but still even then they say it varies 2psi ish. so say you want to run 18 it spikes to 20 then fades to 18. then some people have horrible boost spikes and got rid of the thing all together. really ive known it fades but didn't think its a big deal but it is especially for drag racing. my wastegate on the other hand holds boost perfect. heres a little run down of my setup.

2jz na-t (tt hg, arp studs, light port and polish on head)
ffim
hx35 7blade
tial mvr44
7m ecu with lex/550/safc2

All that for 357 hp? I realize it is your money.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
Nick M;2008893 said:
All that for 357 hp? I realize it is your money.

haha yeah i'll admit i was little surprised at first but there are some things that i had to factor in which made me not feel so bad. first off they don't call dyno dynamics heart breakers for nothing. they read lower than dyno jets which is what most people post their results as. people will tune on a dyno dynamics then do their numbers pull on a dyno jet for this reason. so that alone was something too consider. on 15psi which was the only good pull it would be like 380ish on a dyno jet so that would be solid for the hx35. the 18psi pulls there were issue so that wasn't what it's capable of on 18psi. and im sure with 20psi on wastegate it will get well into the 400's which is what i would think it should do. im happy with how the car drives and performs and as long as i can get well into the 11's and trap over 120 thats fast enough for me ;)

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
For a basic setup like you got that's not bad. That turbo is designed for higher boost. That turbo on my cummins makes 35 psi with the stock internal gate.

I would go with a manual boost controller. I have a really old "Joe P" boost controller on my car and it's solid.

What intercooler do you have?

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
Nosechunks;2012429 said:
For a basic setup like you got that's not bad. That turbo is designed for higher boost. That turbo on my cummins makes 35 psi with the stock internal gate.

I would go with a manual boost controller. I have a really old "Joe P" boost controller on my car and it's solid.

What intercooler do you have?

i have a ebay intercooler. pretty sure its 12x24. and im just gonna use the waste gate to control boost from now on. but i agree with you just a old ball and spring mbc seems to control boost the best with little hassle as far as boost controllers. and the numbers it made are solid for a dynodynamics if you ask me for 15psi since its the only good pull it made. im sure if i ramped the boost up to like 24-26psi it would make 500 or dam near but i don't really care lol. i have a ton of fun with my car at autox, drags, tracks, cruising, and ripping through the awesome roads in the mountains out here. thats what matters to me not having the most horsepower ;)