so i blew my turbo tonight...

Apr 1, 2005
WA
sorry. long story.

yup, so for work today, they had me driving back and forth between Redmond and downtown Seattle. Felt like I was going back and forth all day long. It totally sucked, especially because the 520 bridge was closed and so that added an extra 15 min or so to each trip.

Well, I like to make the best out of a boring situation, plus I've got a bit of a lead foot. So pretty much every time traffic allowed, I would do super long WOT runs.:evil2: mostly on the freeway. I mean, jeeze, who wants to just putt-putt down the road?

It was also rather warm today, and I had the AC blowin full blast most of the time. I wonder if that may have contributed some.

This goes on for almost 9 hours. yeah, my job can suck arse sometimes.

Night falls. I come into town, almost done with this crap. I come off the freeway and when I stop i notice some smoke. My first thought was, holy crap! engine fire!:aigo: then i paused for a sec and realized, that cant be it. I just so happen to have an automatic fire suppression system in the engine bay (yeah, i know. its totally bad ass). if i had a fire it would have triggered and i would have at least noticed the buzzer and warning light. that wasnt happening so i knew it wasnt a fire.

well, at first, there wasnt a whole lotta smoke. the engine sounded fine and seemed to run fine, so I just continued to my destination. i figured, so what. im tired.:3d_frown:

of course, the further i drove, the worse it got. so i stoped. looked in the engine bay, but it was dark, and the battery in my flashlight was dead. while i was out, i walked around and noticed most of the smoke was actually coming from the end of the tailpipe. crap, that cant be good.

luckily, i know a kick-ass mechanic downtown that actually works all through the night. yeah, he's a cool dude. so i drive over to his shop, leaving a nasty whitish-gray cloud trailing behind me. i got a some wierd stares from a few people.:biglaugh:

anyway, my mechanic is nice enough to take a looksee. he shined his flashlight into the engine and then his exact words were. "yup, you're screwed." then we both started to laugh a bit. i mean what else were we to do? there was oil all over the place. oil practically gushing out of the turbo and obviously into the intake as well. it was a mess.

unfortunately, i dont have any pictures cause i didnt have my camera and my camera-phone sux at night.

well, i waited around for a tow, then i was able to finish what i needed to do for work and finally made it home. pretty cool, huh?

Apr 1, 2005
WA
oh, i may have forgotten to mention....

i was driving one of these.
yeah, i told you my camera-phone sux at night.

Attachments

• Photo_071408_001.jpg
    Photo_071408_001.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 33
Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Yeah sounds like you took it ok to me. Time to upgrade! :naughty:

Edit: Wait, so the turbo blew on the bus?!!! LOL sweet! I was thinking, man, a fire system in the bay of a Supra?! Still, Time for an upgrade!! :biglaugh:

Duane

Apr 1, 2005
WA
yup. i broke another bus. lol.

im thinkin i need to start bringin my camera to work for these epic moments. i remember a couple years back, there was a motor sitting outside the shop for a few weeks. it had the biggest damn hole ive ever seen right in the side of the block. i meant to get a pic of it, but never did.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
screaminglemon;1077231 said:
yup. i broke another bus. lol.

im thinkin i need to start bringin my camera to work for these epic moments. i remember a couple years back, there was a motor sitting outside the shop for a few weeks. it had the biggest damn hole ive ever seen right in the side of the block. i meant to get a pic of it, but never did.

LOL, you sure you didn't add a boost controller to it? :biglaugh:

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
god damnit man you had me going till the 2nd post.

I was going to say it sounds like you dont really give to much of a damn about your car. "fuck it i'll just keep going im tired"

Good story.

xXslayrXx

Performance > Looks
Mar 25, 2008
Nawlins
LOL. I was really hoping you weren't talking about your car. Glad it was the bus. Upgrade that bus!!!

Apr 1, 2005
WA
the next day, i was thinking about it and realized i didnt check for sleepers before i gave it to the mechanic. lol. i can just picture it now... some dude wakes up all confused, bus is dark. all alone. engine off but cruzing down the freeway at 50-60 mph. wtf! looks out the front window and realizes the bus is being towed. sits back down, falls back asleep.

nah. im pretty sure it was empty. well, maybe 95% sure.:hsugh: