Snow Tires Or Not?

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
blackturbona said:
im jealous of u guys that actually have to worry about snow.. and what was that about wanting narrow tires in snow? that doesnt seem to make sense to me
With a narrower tire, you have more pressure being exerted per square inch of rubber. This allows the sure to push down through the loose snow to the hard road below, or at the very least, compact the snow down.

Reaper Man

I'm the responsible one
Jun 10, 2007
MA
there's no replacement for snows (when living in an environment that has snow) All seasons aren't very good for anything imo.

blackturbona

May 10, 2007
kirkland
annoyingrob said:
With a narrower tire, you have more pressure being exerted per square inch of rubber. This allows the sure to push down through the loose snow to the hard road below, or at the very least, compact the snow down.

hmm, or u push through to the ice under the snow where u get almost no traction at all. thats how all the roads get around here

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
blackturbona said:
hmm, or u push through to the ice under the snow where u get almost no traction at all. thats how all the roads get around here
I suppose, but then it's all down to tire composition more than anything else. Soft rubber + seipes, and you're all set.

Like I said, I've never gottem my Supra stuck in snow, (or ice). I can motor up icy hills no problem. Michellin X-Ice 205/55s :)

My Yokohama 285/40s won't even bother moving the car if there's any snow on the ground. Oh, the number of times I've had to quickly swap tires out on the road when I wake up, and find a foot of snow on everything :)

cartel1_950

supra is gone
Jan 30, 2006
calgary
haha nothing worse than waking up to a foot of snow with the summers still on. i have toyo proxes r1's and the second there is snow the supra is stuck. but i have all season tires for the winter.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I got my studded snows put on a week ago and now its been sunny and hot. Stupid colorado. The weather can turn from 75 to snowing in less than 30 hours.

Its seriously supposed to snow next week and this week has been 60-75.

I feel dumb with my studs now, but it'll be great when that first snow hits and I lose ZERO traction. :)