smoking on deceleration

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
I am running a 3 inch dragger exhaust all the way back and no cat. I am having problems with the car smoking on deaccelartion. When I pull up to a red light and stop the smoke will come forward and it smells real strong. It looks white to me. I had people follow me and they said it woud not smoke while I am cruising along. What could cause this. Can the exhaust be so big without a cat it is sucking air back in. Is this possible. I can hear bubbling noise when I let off the gas from the exhaust. When I step back on the gas it clears right up.

mods
lexs afm
550cc
safcII

Last edited:

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
Yeah. I was reading some threads and they said if you stop at a red light and smoke passes you up it is a sign of bad turbo seals. That is exactly what mine is doing, the smoke passes me up every time I stop. I hate a smoking car. I will have to fix it.

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
its a dead or a dying turbo as poodles mentioned, that happened to me last year got another turbo and it was good.

or maybe its time to for a ct upgrade lol

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
arizzle;1527411 said:
its a dead or a dying turbo as poodles mentioned, that happened to me last year got another turbo and it was good.

or maybe its time to for a ct upgrade lol

Ok. Thanks. I was getting a little worried. What kind of upgraded turbo do you recommend for my mods that I listed. I plan on replacing the stock fuel pump and getting a afpr with a j tube.

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
well why not just do a ct26-75-60trim ? or maybe a suprasport boss turbos, thats only if you want to keep it stock manifold and dp, best bang for your buck

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
I just reached 700 miles on my new build and the 23 year old turbo finally is starting to let go. It smokes a little every now and then on decelerration, but only after boosting hard through several gears. Kind of blue-ish, smells like oil. No coolant though. Everything else is perfect, no signs of bhg or anything, so I'm thinking it's time for one of those direct bolt-ons that Zankoku has since I have that Megamouth DP. Btw, I have a full 3" turbo-back with no cat for now either.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Thank you for mentioning that George.
I love the instant BHG... That would NOT smoke only on decel...

and it's Deceleration. FWIW.

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
How could I tell if it is a bad turbo or valve seals. I had my turbo off a couple of months ago and and it seems to be dry down in the intake hose. I know im not the best at spelling. I had my intake apart going to the throttle body and it had oil in it. What about the pcv system. Somebody mention about a catch can. Can this also cause smoking on deceleration. Any advice.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
there are a couple of ways to test for bad valve guide seals (works best in a warm area so condensation is at a minimum)

Start the vehicle after it has been sitting overnight and let it idle. if the valve guide seals are real bad you will get a plume of smoke within the first min of idleing. If no plume is seen continue to let the car idle until both rad hoses are hot (you should have not touched the throttle yet), and crack the throttle like three times reving it up to 3-4k rpm, paying close attention for blue/black smoke out the exhaust, if no smoke is seen at this time your valve guide seals are good.

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
It dont smoke on start up at all but if I keep the gas steady at 2500 rpms and let off it will smoke and then it will stop. Does the pcv need alot of vaccum because the hose going into the according hose is real lose and does not have a clamp on it. Do you think it is bad valve seals.

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
Ok I tried the rev three times like mkiii chip said. It smokes every time after it idles back down. I kept the rpms at 3500 to 4000 steady and let off and every time it smokes at idle but clears up. Is this bad valve seals. I tried it at 2500 rpms and it does not smoke after let off.