smoking at idle and idle only

7mLove

Addict
Nov 11, 2009
Barksdale AFB, Louisiana United States
I have been searching for weeks on whats going on...as soon as i put my exhaust on (bic ddp test pipe rsr gtii catback) my car has been smoking bad. Only at idle and if i rev it up it goes away but come back after about a minute or so. I have a fresh rebuild about 10k ago. It smells nothing like coolant a lot like oil and gasoline but it is a very white smoke with a blue tint. Turbo was rebuilt by gpop shop...also it idles sometimes at 1500rpm and if i hold the gas at a certain place it sounds like a vaccum leak going up and down. I really apreciate any advice. I am working 12 hour shifts for the next 2 months but will answer questions as fast as i can

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
As soon as you remove the cat you have excess pollution in the form of smoke and you asked what happened? And yes, the blue tint inside a lighter smoke is oil.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
7mLove;1905432 said:
I have been searching for weeks on whats going on...as soon as i put my exhaust on (bic ddp test pipe rsr gtii catback) my car has been smoking bad. Only at idle and if i rev it up it goes away but come back after about a minute or so. I have a fresh rebuild about 10k ago. It smells nothing like coolant a lot like oil and gasoline but it is a very white smoke with a blue tint. Turbo was rebuilt by gpop shop...also it idles sometimes at 1500rpm and if i hold the gas at a certain place it sounds like a vaccum leak going up and down. I really apreciate any advice. I am working 12 hour shifts for the next 2 months but will answer questions as fast as i can

Holding the gas at a certain point with it idle hunting sounds like the tps is calibrated incorrectly.

Whats the compression across all the cylinders? Is your PCV in good working order? Is the hose going from the block to the valve covers blocked or kinked at all?

MadRPM

Nov 9, 2012
Tampa
Here's what I'd try:

- Loosen the DP and wiggle it enough it enough to see the turbine.
- Loosen the turbo from the manifold.

If the the turbine inlet is wet, the oil is coming from the engine.
If the turbine inlet is dry and the outlet is wet, you got shafted on that rebuild.

7mLove

Addict
Nov 11, 2009
Barksdale AFB, Louisiana United States
IndigoMKII;1905500 said:
Holding the gas at a certain point with it idle hunting sounds like the tps is calibrated incorrectly.

Whats the compression across all the cylinders? Is your PCV in good working order? Is the hose going from the block to the valve covers blocked or kinked at all?

I thought we dont have pcv valves

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
7mLove;1905526 said:
Im not sure if that was sarcastic or not but its a lot of smoke not a tiny ammount

You aren't the first person to pull the cat and get smoke afterwards. All it did was reveal your problem.