smoke out the pipe

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
is it a bad turbo or could it be something else? everytime i start up my car there is a rather large puff of smoke, its not blue. im thinking can it be because of a bad turbo that is burning oil, or could it be something else?:1zhelp:

Scruggs86.5T

Dec 8, 2007
Slidell, LA
First off what color is it? White=coolant, Blue=oil, Black=rich. Blue smoke can sometimes be hard to identify as blue. It could be any number of things from your turbo to a BHG. It just depends the fact that it is happening on start up usually means valve stem seals, also this could mean rings because the engine is still cold. Usually when a turbo is smokes is when it is spooling which can also be hard to identify because you are moving quicker than at start up. Does it do it every time you start the car or is it just in the morning? What about when you start it about an hour after running it last?

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
happens everytime i start it up. you can say its blue smoke, i doubt its the head gasket because its never over heat before but i do have to keep an eye on the reservoir. ill be doing all the proper work on changing to metal head gasket along with all the necessary and proper work on decking the block and resurfacing the head. ill try posting up a video of what it looks like later today before i head off to work or maybe later tonight. o yea, my turbo isnt as strong anymore. still plan on changing to t67 from driftmotion this coming winter when my car is in the garage.

Scruggs86.5T

Dec 8, 2007
Slidell, LA
Well blue smoke basically looks like white smoke with a slight blue tint to it. Seeing that it happens all the time when you start it up I would lean towards the valve stem seals. Does the plume seem to be larger the longer you let the car sit and smaller the shorter amount of time it sits?

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
it only does that when i start it, when i drive it there is no smoke. the smoke isnt there when it sits, only when it starts up.

Scruggs86.5T

Dec 8, 2007
Slidell, LA
Yeah, I understand that it happens only on start up. To clarify what I am asking. Does it put out more smoke when you start it after its been sitting for a longer than it does when you start it after its been sitting for a shorter period of time?

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
i havent paid attention to that, ill be recording it later. not too sure but i think its the same. ill double check on that today

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
So I tried recording and I failed cause there wasn't any smoke. Ill wait for it to cool down before I can try again.