Smoke on startup (Smells like a fire)

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
I'm on my last legs with this supra, and I'm giving it one last chance here.

The car smokes a LOT on start up and even more so when it's a hot start. The smoke is white and it doesn't smell sweet, it smells like something's burning, almost like theres a ton of fuel in the exhaust and it's igniting.

When I start it it runs like crap and misfires heavily, but when I go to rev it up a gigantic plume of smoke bellows out and then it just stops and runs with a slight misfire.

When I drive the car is runs fine, but the temp gauge literally bounces from hot to normal temperature erratically. Revving it doesn't effect it, the heater doesn't effect it, and highway driving doesn't effect it, it is very consistent in it's inconsistency.

There is a little bit of smoke coming from the exhaust manifold on the 6th while it's running (probably an exhaust leak). The car has a cat installed, and when I changed the plugs they had oil on them. Tried a thermostat just for grins, and it did nothing. I have no waterfall behind the dash, and the overflow level never changes. The radiator cap works.

Pretty sure I have bad piston rings, but I would think that would cause black or blue smoke. I just need to drive the car home so I can part it out (3 hour drive) I just don't think it's going to make it. I knew the piston rings were bad for a long time and it never did this before, this is a new problem.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Shawn

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
large rev followed by a missfire is oil/coolant killing the plug gap (spark) as my guess.

Plugs had oil on them, on the top threads all the way down or just on the end??

could be stuck/leaking injector that drips into the cylinder on shut down (assuming the fuel lines are holding pressure) and BOOM, cloud of smoke. However oil or coolant in the cylinder would cause the same. imagine what its doing to the cylinder wall though = WASH (anything BUT oil). When you drain the oil does anything come out before the oil right as the plug is loosened?