smoke on decel?

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
I am randomly getting smoke on decel downshifts when pulling up to a light, just a little puff then its gone? it looks like oil but smells like fuel. What could be the cause of this, being its only right when i come to a stop? not under load or on startup.

Mods: Dm 57 trim, 560s, lex, afpr, 3.5 exh turbo back, 2.5 ic kit, safc2, aem tru-boost, lc1.

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
Thera are a couple of ways to diagnos this problem. The first is by guessing and assuming. Oil is getting into the combustion chamber/s during high vacuum conditions. The best way is to determine the general health of the engine. This can be done by performing a general compression test, followed by a cylinder leak down test. Once you have those numbers, you can continue to further diagnos.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
The compression test and leakdown was performed prior and after headgasket replacement. all passed. I can see the high vac pulling oil into the chamber through pcv system and such, but it doesnt do it with high vac. should have re worded my post, right when i come to a complete stop it will smoke just one little puff then go away. no smoke when taking off or when hauling ass and letting off gas.

CBatstone

Burlington, VT &Wolfeboro
Sep 22, 2006
Vermont
www.thirtythree.org
Have you considered the exhaust side Journal bearing of the CT26 Turbo yet? I experienced a slow failure on mine a few years ago where it would start smoking once the car warmed up. I feared the worst (engine) but it turned out that it would only start smoking once the exhaust heated up enough, so it was blowing oil past the bearing and into the exhaust and heating up enough to smoke. There is a distinct smell difference between oil that has gone through the engine and oil that just goes through the exhaust from the turbo. Check play in the intake/exhaust side of the turbo next time you can get the Downpipe off and let us know...

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
I was thinking it might be the exhaust side of turbo, cause i only see puffs of smoke when i come to a complete stop. what is the smell difference this does have an almost sour smell but can still tell its oil by color. i pulled the o2 sensor and the inside looks like it just has fuel soot in it. nothing slimy like burnt oil. ill check shaft play tomorrow and i am gonna be pissed if it is turbo waited 2months from dm to get it and only have like 1500 miles on. 500 of which were at 3psi

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
I have similar issues and if I pull one of my spark plugs wires off when it is running the smoke just bulls out the exhaust. When i put it back on the smoking quits about 2 or 3 minutes. My 02 sensor is not checking right and my vf reading shows 4.7volts at idle. That means the ecu is adding max fuel when a at 4.7volts. I really don't know yet if that is my problem or if it would cause it to smoke like this. I do know that it is the same color smoke when I decel. like you said when coming to a stop as when I pull when of my plug wires off. Try pulling one of your wires off when it is operating temp. and see if it smokes. Let me know.

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
89supra7mgte;1621027 said:
wouldnt overfueling be black smoke though? ill give it a shot after i install a mech oil psi gauge

Mine is white with a little blue tint when I pull the spark plug wires off. No matter which one I pull off it will start smoking that color. Why I don't know. I know that my 02 sensor does check bad when I jumpered the diagnostic block like the tsrm shows at 2500 rpm the signals are not there. It supposed to be 8 times in 10 seconds. I am in the process in replacing mine. You can check yours and see if it is the same symptoms.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
Ok so i pulled the tb and everything on the intake today, found quite a bit of oil in it. specially in the "pcv" inlet, really wet. i have eliminated the turbo, rings and valve seals. it is def being sucked into system through valve covers, thorough intake blah blah, giving the blue smoke a fuel smell also.

What can i do to slow down the oil being sucked into the tb and why is doing this? too much boost?

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
****UPDATE***** Reinspected the turbo and it took a shit. axial and radial movement is the cause of the oil burning. Only has 1500 miles on it driftmotion 57trim ct-26. anyone else have issues with them?

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
YES!!!
Exact same issues with TWO 57 trim turbos from Driftmotion! I used to buy everything I ever needed from them... and now I refuse to buy anything there, really disappointed me lately