Smoke from exhaust on idle only

Reg

Jul 16, 2010
Nashville, TN
Just recently after ive been driving my supra around i get a whole bunch of dense white smoke, maybe greyish/white, coming out of the exhaust only after its been idle for a few minutes. The second i drive it around it goes away. The car still runs really good and pulls all 16psi with ease. It gets thicker the more it idles. Turbo seals, valve stem seals, pcv? I noticed a small puddle of oil in the intake right before the turbo when i took it off to do some maintenance. Any suggestions, i attached a short vid i uploaded just a second ago. Temp outside has been roughly 95+ during the day and around 80 at night. I did run it a little excessively when it was around 98 degrees during the hottest time of day. Thats when it started happening, the second i parked it to cool off after those pulls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1c7HSzRcvQ

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Does the smoke smell sweet or smell like oil? To me I would say thats a 95% chance that its a blown head gasket.

Small amounts of oil is normal in the turbo inlet due to the PCV being hooked into it.

xnuclear23

Nov 6, 2010
California SoCal
Mine did the same thing, smoked on start up but while under driving conditions it was good. It turned out to be a blown head gasket...

I would start off with a compression test and go from there to source out your problem.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
I wouldn't go off a compression test, A leak down test would be more appropriate for the above tests that need to take place to tell if there is a BHG

Reg

Jul 16, 2010
Nashville, TN
I doubt its a BHG, ive had it thickened and re tourqued. I dont get any loss of power which would be a problem with a BHG right? Doesnt smell sweet and my coolant isnt leaking cause my level hasnt changed at all. Not an oily smell either and my oil level isnt dropping at all.
You think because its soo humid and hot down here that its just condensation building up from the IC piping trying to cool the air? Like i said it ONLY smokes AFTER a long drive and its been at idle for more than 3m.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Sounds like excessive blow by from the pcv system. Either that or valve stem seals.

Can do combustion gas test and compression test to rule out bhg tho. Compression check with all plugs out, then re test with a small amount of oil in each cylinder, If the reading go up with oil its the rings.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Do a leak down test, pressurize each cyl with air and if it starts shooting coolant out of the radiator then you'll know. Or get a exhaust gas tester from Napa or an auto parts store to test for exhaust gasses in the coolant.

Oil = Blue/gray smoke
Gas = Black smoke (really rich)
Coolant = White/gray (coolant leaking into the combustion chamber) BHG

I have seen many people do head gaskets and few hundred miles down the road, bamn leaking or blown again.

With the car running pull the oil cap off and see if there is a lot of air blowing out.

Edit: Leak down test will show where combustion gasses are leaking into, Either cooling system or crank case.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Oil can also burn white/gray. Thats usually what you see when valve stem seals go bad. The oil in the intake could be just from pcv and the real problem is valve stem seals.

Know way to know without testing.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
True ^^ But he said he just had the head redone so if they decked it they should have replaced the valve stem seals anyways. Never know at the machine shops that are around now a days

Reg

Jul 16, 2010
Nashville, TN
Pretty sure my valve stem seals are good, should of been replaced when i redid the motor. Ill try some small tests and see what i can find.

Oh and one more thing, where the hell is the pcv valve located. Cant seem to find it lol

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Did you have a valve job done? IF all you did was have it resurfaced they dont need to take the valves out and wont replace the seals unless asked.

There is no pcv valve on the 7m. It uses a small orfice on the throttle body port which is what gets used 90% of time for vacuum on the pcv system. Can pull off that hose and spray brake cleaner through it to clean it out.

Reg

Jul 16, 2010
Nashville, TN
hvyman;1739663 said:
Did you have a valve job done? IF all you did was have it resurfaced they dont need to take the valves out and wont replace the seals unless asked.

Should have been done, but ill call and double check.

Thanks for the info/help. Hopefully i can find the problem.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Any machine shop that decks a head without complete removal of all the valves and other components is terrible. I have had tons of heads done and every time we remove all of the valves, springs, retainers buckets ect.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Not really. cams are out and valves are close. Head is upside down. Can easily blow out and shavings that get in the port and throw the hole head in the hot tank.

Yes its better but not necessary for a simple machining of the head for a stock gasket with no valve job.

And when you say we do you mean you pull the valves or the machine shop does and you watch them?

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
I worked at a machine shop on the side to help out. Actually the machine shop that built Dana Westover's first motor and where his intake manifold was flow benched on.