Smoke cloud after boost run.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
This has happened a few times. Every now and then I will bury the pedal and hit boost. Afterwards when I am at a complete stop, I will notice a good bit of smoke moving from the rear to the front. It smells of just hot engine, not burning oil or coolant. This only happens at a complete stop after a small boost run. I DD the car and drive it very conservatively. I have heard that when not driven hard oil vapor will seep into the intercooler through the PCV and sit, then when boost is hit it will be sucked out. Is this what is happening?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Could be valve stem seals.

What color is the smoke? WHite?

You could pull the ic hose off and look if there is oil in there.
Can also clear out the orfice on the tb for the pcv system.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
hvyman;1742978 said:
Could be valve stem seals.

What color is the smoke? WHite?

You could pull the ic hose off and look if there is oil in there.
Can also clear out the orfice on the tb for the pcv system.

yongai27;1743037 said:
ahhh i have that same problem from time to time, white smoke for me at least
White/light colored smoke.

cliffordrican

Feb 14, 2010
long island ny
same prob for me lol wen i boost and get off it smokes like i just did a burn out also ic pipe has like 2 qts of oil in it lol switch 3 turbos same prob grrrrr

jagpride

Nov 17, 2009
So Cal
Your turbo oil seals are done. The samething happend to me with my last turbo I bought another used one and it went away.

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
agreed. i work in the diesel industry and they smoke like no other when a turbo/cracked head/valve stem seals fail, youll def get that cloud of smoke creep up on you at stops...if the smoke is thick enough that you can see for a few seconds its usually oil.

like the #2 post says, pop off your intercooler pipe and check for oil to diagnose a bad turbo compressor seal (this is somewhat serious because if you buildup enough oil in the intercooler and then boost it hard one time, all that oil goes in at once...i think you can figure the rest out)
please note that there will almost always be a little oily residue in an IC pipe, but look at the lower/lowest point for a pool of oil, if so, take the intercooler off and hang it upsidown if you have to, to be certain.
if all of that is mostly dry,
disconnect the exhaust down pipe from the turbo after a short boost run, inspect the blades and note the soot buildup...is it dry or is it more caked up and moist?

also note, just because oil is AFTER the turbo, it doesnt pin point the turbo as being bad, you must also remove the turbo from the header to be sure its not a cracked head/valve stem seal or some other freak problem.

either way if you know youre burning/losing a significant amount of oil then you can go from there.

there could be some scenarios where the intake charge is just too hot and/or your running real rich at the moment.

im sure theres plenty more directions that this could go but these are the top few things i can think of

jagpride

Nov 17, 2009
So Cal
suprajztwenty;1752567 said:
agreed. i work in the diesel industry and they smoke like no other when a turbo/cracked head/valve stem seals fail, youll def get that cloud of smoke creep up on you at stops...if the smoke is thick enough that you can see for a few seconds its usually oil.

like the #2 post says, pop off your intercooler pipe and check for oil to diagnose a bad turbo compressor seal (this is somewhat serious because if you buildup enough oil in the intercooler and then boost it hard one time, all that oil goes in at once...i think you can figure the rest out)
please note that there will almost always be a little oily residue in an IC pipe, but look at the lower/lowest point for a pool of oil, if so, take the intercooler off and hang it upsidown if you have to, to be certain.
if all of that is mostly dry,
disconnect the exhaust down pipe from the turbo after a short boost run, inspect the blades and note the soot buildup...is it dry or is it more caked up and moist?

also note, just because oil is AFTER the turbo, it doesnt pin point the turbo as being bad, you must also remove the turbo from the header to be sure its not a cracked head/valve stem seal or some other freak problem.

either way if you know youre burning/losing a significant amount of oil then you can go from there.

there could be some scenarios where the intake charge is just too hot and/or your running real rich at the moment.

im sure theres plenty more directions that this could go but these are the top few things i can think of

Yup you should check that too. Odds are thought that its your turbo.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My vote is for valve stem seals OR Turbo seals. Or both.

Neither is particularly harmful but very annoying, provided you don't let your oil run low.

It'll get worse over time as well.