smog test ?'s

So I may be going to grad school in Pasadina, CA. And I am guessing that since it is in southern Califoria that the weather is nice (sarcasm). Anyway, I will keep Michigan tags on it so will I need to do anything for smog tests? I would not pass if I need it to, but I have the luxury of being out of state. Is there anything I will need to do so I don't get hasseld, also dose CA. have frount plate laws?

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
Cops are dicks about front plates around here. I've been pulled over three times for it but never got a ticket, just warnings.

We have a Dodge Dynasty with Idaho plates and registration weve never needed to smog, Just make sure you have an excuse for when you get pulled over.

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
Um, the SoCal weather is the best in the world. Well, Bay Area is pretty good weather too.

Yeah, cops are dicks about the front plates.
And SMOG in CA is the toughest state for smogs, iono how much trouble you'll have with it, depends on how well you've maintained it and what upgrades you have.

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
You need front and rear plates.
You need to register your vehicle in CA if you are a permanent resident. So I don't know how that would work if you reside in CA but don't want to be a permanent resident. You'll have to be creative. If you use the MI address on everything, and go back there many times each year, then you could probably get away with it.

If you don't register the vehicle in CA then you don't need to smog it. Smog inspections are done for registration every alternate year.

Which school are you going to?

RHDMK3

that's it!
Sep 30, 2006
Salem, Oregon
If your vehicle isnt registered in California then they cant give you a ticket for not having front plates. If they do, just take it to court and the judge will drop it. It can't be legally upheld. Most states though require you to register your car within 30 to 60 days if you are planning to live there, such as you seem to be wanting to do.

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
If you don't want to put your plate on your bumper, just put it in the very upper right hand corner of your dash, next to the window. It's 100% legal. A California traffic school instructor told me about that one. Here's a picture of how it should be, using my car as the example, although I should move mine next to the pillar.

Adam

suprasport91

GO BRUINS!!!
Sep 27, 2005
Seattle, Wa
honestabe said:
If you don't want to put your plate on your bumper, just put it in the very upper right hand corner of your dash, next to the window. It's 100% legal. A California traffic school instructor told me about that one. Here's a picture of how it should be, using my car as the example, although I should move mine next to the pillar.

Adam

I wonder what happens to plate when you have to brake real hard... poor passenger...

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
The dent came with the car.

The liscense plate is wedged pretty good in where it is. I drive a little wild, and the plate doesn't move an inch.

The pic was taken mere seconds before I did a nice little 180 from where I was. That was the same day I was at the Autobacs meet, just down the street in fact.

Too bad I don't have a bushing for my shifter, otherwise you would have enjoyed the test drive a little more. It's on my list of cheap parts that need to get replaced A.S.A.P.

Adam

Art certre in pasadina, its a small art college out there, its pretty good. I am also applying for internships and stuff on the west cost. Yeah I pay taxes in MI, and would be a student so I don't think not being in MI most of the year would matter then. IL seems not to care and there is no realilstic way to varify that info anyway. In MI we are only issued a rear plate, you never ever get two plates.