Smog not Passing.

fox74

Nov 9, 2014
SLC
VSV I think stand for vacuum solenoid valve,a part of EGR system, it is under intake manifold close to EGR valve. It activated by ECU. if you disconnect it and apply battery voltage and ground you should hear it open and close.

jshjuarez

Aug 31, 2015
Is anyone in California , 91770 Rosemead area that can help me with these problems. I've changed the alternator , spark plugs, distributor cap ,radiator, oil change, air and fuelfilter , valve cover casket , all belts . Having new sparks and lines should fix timing . The only thing I'm looking for is the vacuum disconnected, seafoam will clean up the emissions but I NEED HELP and there isn't any Toyota mechanics out here that don't charge an arm and a leg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Since emission work requires specialized knowledge and equipment you may not have much choice. Did you fix the EGR? All that stuff you did is nice but other than possibly the radiator it won't bring NOx down. Nor will new plugs and wires correct bad timing. And Seafoam is bad for the catalyst...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
jshjuarez;2063188 said:
I NEED HELP and there isn't any Toyota mechanics out here that don't charge an arm and a leg

You are going to lose your car to California because of this. The automotive business has been dwindling for more than a decade. I came in at Toyota at a good time, during a big engine recall. But the business is not good, and will get worse. I have something for all to read, and he doesn't even list one other major defect in company thinking.

It will only get worse. Click the red link.

When I started in the business the flat rate times were much more fair than they are today. In the name of cost savings the flat rate keeps getting whittled away, until it has become almost impossible to make the time. In 1980 we got paid .5 hours for diagnosis, in 1990 we got .7 hours, today we get .3 hours. Yes eighteen minutes to figure out what is wrong with the car. There is no time allowance for finding the car in the lot, warming it up in the winter, test driving , spending time getting the parts, etc. Five years ago re-flashing a PCM paid 1.1 hours we now get paid 0.4 hours. The job takes the same time as it used to. I asked a GM rep about this and his answer was " we wrote a Bulletin". Well yes they wrote a bulletin, in fact there may be 200+ bulletins written on that car that we need to sort through to find the one we need.

Anyway, that is my rabbit trail.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
If he is really up against a money issue, then the California Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) offers consumers up to $500 in financial assistance towards certain emissions-related repairs. He'll need to show his household income is less than or equal to two hundred twenty-five percent (225%) of the federal poverty level, as published in the Federal Register by the United States Department of Health and Human Services.

As for the pay of mechanics, if the industry does get into a shortage of techs, then their pay will have increase to attract the ones that are left, and the problem will self correct... Nick the Capitalist surely doesn't need to be reminded of that!

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
True, but interestingly California's now the "global center for the future of personal mobility. Other automotive powerhouses with Silicon Valley offices include Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Volkswagen, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan and automotive suppliers Continental, Delphi and Denso."

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
3p141592654;2063548 said:
True, but interestingly California's now the "global center for the future of personal mobility. Other automotive powerhouses with Silicon Valley offices include Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Volkswagen, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan and automotive suppliers Continental, Delphi and Denso."

Toyota is moving its North American headquarters to Dallas.

jshjuarez

Aug 31, 2015
Can anyone help me ????? Like come help me fix the car . I am willing to give you supra parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Post 13 is what you need to do. If you don't feel up to it, then you will need to find someone who can do it. All the stuff you have done to date won't fix your high NOx.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
OP: I feel for ya. Emissions problems are a huge pain and expensive. Fucking California is making it even more difficult for you.

Can you provide a few better pictures of the engine bay? They said you failed vacuum lines. I wonder if you have a loose vacuum line or something. If it's in the EGR hoses that could stop EGR from running at all. Your NO is through the roof so something's obviously very wrong.

Take some time trying to get a bunch of clear pictures for us. You've got a few of the top notch folks in this thread, maybe they can spot something obvious with some additional pictures.

Focus on the throttle body area and the area under the intake especially.