Smaller intake cam for better low-end?

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
I have a fully built 7m and it has 272 BC cams in the head. Would it increase my low-end power if I swapped out the intake cam for a 264 cam instead? I know some people used an NA intake cam sometimes but that was at lower power levels. I am shooting for 500+ rwhp but I would still like to retain some good low-end power. Sorry if this is a newb question

Shifty

Dec 29, 2011
Brisbane
Hi mate

Assuming "500+" means 500-550hp (and not 1000hp) I would consider your engine over-cammed with 272s. That said, they're not a bad thing to have and make everything a lot more efficiently and achieve a given peak power level more easily (ie same power at less boost, or more power at the same boost).

You could still make 500-550hp fairly easily with 264s but honestly you will notice a very limited difference in your low-down in changing from 272s to 264s... and even less so by only changing your intake cam. You really need to build a complete setup rather than change one part out and expect a big improvement... so a well matched turbocharger, well selected turbine housing option, cams selected around a particular boost or power level, porting work as necessary, etc.

Depends what you are trying to achieve - maybe set out your goals and look at a group of parts to see if there are multiple areas that can be addressed at once.

It's like asking if you'll be better looking with a haircut.... yes maybe but if you have no teeth then you still aren't getting laid! So look at the big picture.

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
multiple dyno graphs show that having 272 actually reduce ur spool time and powerband horsepower. 264 will be better for the lower hp limit. you have to take into account incoming air velocity vs quanity as this can play a difference in the powerband. I would do the 264 if ur sticking with 500 as a power goal. makes for a fatter power curve rather than the 272s.