Small oil leak from under the crank pulley

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
So my supra has been bleeding a little bit and there is quite a bit of oil on the exhaust side of the motor and when I park after awhile I see a spot or two of oil right underneath the crank pulley. I have been going nuts trying to find the oil leak but I fear it may be leaking from a gasket or seal behind the lower timing cover around the crank area but there is also some oil in my PCV system because there is usually a small amount of oil on the lip of the turbo housing where the intake connects to it. I just want to know some good places to check first like start out small before removing the belts and timing covers. I want to remove the turbo to get a better view of the exhaust side and clean up the entire area so I can spot leaks but I don't have time to do that and when I do it's late at night.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
If it's leaking from the weep hole in the bottom on the front lower timing cover, check the front main seal, oil pump d/s seal, and cam seals.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I changed my cam seals and I am pretty sure it's not that high up. I do need to change my accessory belts anyway this would be a good time to change them and find that leak.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I changed my CPS seal recently because I thought it was leaking from there but there was no evidence of it leaking.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
How difficult is it to change the main seal? Do you remove the belts, crank pulley, lower timing cover then pull out the seal?

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
How difficult is this job? for reference I changed my head gasket myself along all of the gaskets and seals that were in my path how does this compare to the main seal? I imagine what I did is more difficult lol.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Are those the plugs that are in the spark plug area? There isn't much oil in that area it's mostly grime but doesn't look fresh in any way.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Sounds like the problem I have, there is oil all over the underside. So I have to remove the belts, timing belt after I set the motor to TDC, crank pulley, and what gearing exactly I am a bit confused on that?

EHumble

Oil in the PCV system is normal. PCV is Positive Crankcase Ventilation. It takes the small amount of blowby gases from the combustion cycle from the crankcase, up through the head and into the intake. In this process it picks up some oil vapors which are deposited into the intake as well. So it is normal to have a little oil sitting in the compressor inlet of the turbo. As for the oil leak, sounds like the front main seal to me as well. Shouldn't be too difficult of a job, but I have yet to do one on this engine, but will be doing one this week, along with all the other gaskets.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
EHumble;1927474 said:
Oil in the PCV system is normal. PCV is Positive Crankcase Ventilation. It takes the small amount of blowby gases from the combustion cycle from the crankcase, up through the head and into the intake. In this process it picks up some oil vapors which are deposited into the intake as well. So it is normal to have a little oil sitting in the compressor inlet of the turbo. As for the oil leak, sounds like the front main seal to me as well. Shouldn't be too difficult of a job, but I have yet to do one on this engine, but will be doing one this week, along with all the other gaskets.

Would you mind making a log about it? I am a visual person so seeing pictures of the entire process helps very much. I plan on doing my main seal and install the A/C parts next weekend since I should be receiving them shortly this week and A/C will be much needed here in Houston since it's starting to get hot and humid.

EHumble

Doat;1927476 said:
Would you mind making a log about it? I am a visual person so seeing pictures of the entire process helps very much. I plan on doing my main seal and install the A/C parts next weekend since I should be receiving them shortly this week and A/C will be much needed here in Houston since it's starting to get hot and humid.

I can try, haha. I should be getting my gasket kit this week, so I'll probably get to it this coming weekend