slugish, intermitent cutting out etc

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
ive had this problem on my 7mge auto for a while. ive removed the afm and checked it with a multi meter. it seems fine. ive also removed the throtle body to check the tps. it reads as follows.

no feeler gauge between lever and stop screw. 0.85 ohms

0.40mm between lever and stop screw 0.68 ohms

0.75mm between lever and stop screw. its reading infinity. (i take it thats what the number 8 on its side means?)

fully open between vta and e2 4.2k ohms

fully open between vc and e2 6.14k ohms

this checks out ok as per the tsrm as long as what i took to be infinity actually is infinity.

i do have some oil in my plug wells i need to clean out. is there anything else i should check out whilst im on?

i also seem to have excessive fuel consumption. ie 20 litres is lasting a shade under 60 miles. it used to last 80 miles before the red light comes on

cheers

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Clean out the wells. Plugs, wires, rotor, cap, timing, all the regular maintence stuff. And to add to that fuel filter, injectors cleaned air filter,vac hoses. Lot of things can make it run that way. Let us know what you've done and haven't done.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Can you better describe the "cutting out" portion of the problem?

Can't be specific without specifics, but try cleaning and verifying that all grounds are connected, possibly new battery wires. Test the fuel pump resistor pack and relay. Test the AFM when it is HOT! (mine failed, but the issue was only seen when it was hot) Clean the oil out of the plug galley... you bet it can cause issues.

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
it cuts out very occasionally. usually when its warmed up. might do it once then not do it for a month then again itll do it. usually only once or twice though at any one time. starts back up straight away.

i have no codes

afaik i have no vac leaks. i checked all that out when i had the high idle problems.

plugs are recent denso items. however it made no difference to the problems. also recent plug wires and dizzy cap and rotor (blueprint items)

i cleaned the air filter recently (k&n type)

ive not looked at injectors. whats any recomended service procedures there?

ill pull the middle cover off today. probably in a few hours and start on cleaning it all out.

ill check out the fuel pump resistor packs etc aswell

ill have a scout about and clean up the ground points. see if theres any loose or rusted. (think i cleaned the easily visible ones a while back)

once its all back together ill run it and check the afm when its hot as a double check sort of thing

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
one other thing. i just remembered about this. when started from cold it is extremely slugish. a lot more so than when its warmed up. i guess this could possibly be the csi staying on too long? am i right in thinking its suposed to stay on only for a few seconds when the engine first fire up?

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
ok ive probably got the main reason for the slugishness. stripped top of the engine. cam covers throttle intake etc. plug leads came out and 3 and 4 were dripping what i assume to be coolant . theres also a fair bit of oil down there

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Finnon;1073368 said:
ok ive probably got the main reason for the slugishness. stripped top of the engine. cam covers throttle intake etc. plug leads came out and 3 and 4 were dripping what i assume to be coolant . theres also a fair bit of oil down there
That will do it. Was the coolant comming from the lines to the TB?

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKcx6juXy2w

I took this video before i figured out what my problem was. It was missing at idle a lot as you can tell, and whenever i would accelerate it would miss like crazy. Turns out there was coolant in the center two spark plug holes that dripped from the throttle body ports. A little bit of water or oil down there can do a lot.

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
well i pulled off the centre cover last night. there was a canny bit of oil in there. also coolant and in the centre under the throttle body the oil had all emulsified. ive stuffed some kitchen paper down there to try to absorb some of the crap and ill see what its like in a little while.

on looking at the throttle body the coolant hose that attaches to the back of it was the one leaking. the metal pipe was all rusted so ill have to cleran that up and probably be an idea to fit a new hose to that section