Slightly-Newbie question(s)/Concern(s)

Kiraush

Jun 1, 2013
Medford, Oregon, United States
So for some context:
I did a complete oil change right before this happened, so maybe that had something to do it.
The kid who sold me it was using Fred Meyer oil and I wasn't going to stand for that, changed it for Castrol GTX
I also changed the Oil Filter

Then this light came on sometime the next day (At least that's when I noticed it):

ZLK5tDD.jpg

The oil change/filter change was my first thought on what it might be, but I thought it resembled a radiator and checked my coolant, and it did need topped off badly, so I did. But the light is still on? :cry:

and now that we're on the coolant, when I filled it up I used green coolant because that's what I've always used and my grandpa (Mechanic of 40+ years) said to, but when it got topped off the coolant was a mixed green/orange color. So I was just a bit concerned with if that's bad or not.

and the last concern!
Some white smoke at start-up comes out of the exhaust pipe, not while driving (So I don't think, or at least I think, it's not a Blown Headgasket)
The only thought I have on that is I told the kid at the gas station to put super into it, and he put premium, maybe?

http://i.imgur.com/iTtmwbm.jpg

Last edited:

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
The light means the coolant overflow bottle is low. Its supposed to look like a radiator. You'll also hear it called a birdcage light.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Moved to proper section. The oil change has nothing to do with the coolant low light...

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Top off the coolant reservoir and keep an eye on it. White smoke puffing out on beginning of start up could just be condensation burning off. Nothing to fear... just yet.

Kiraush

Jun 1, 2013
Medford, Oregon, United States
jetjock;1943118 said:
Now that's entertainment.
Couldn't believe he would use Fred Meyer oil for such a beautiful car...
Suprapowaz!(2);1943104 said:
Top off the coolant reservoir and keep an eye on it. White smoke puffing out on beginning of start up could just be condensation burning off. Nothing to fear... just yet.
jdub;1943103 said:
The oil change has nothing to do with the coolant low light...
mkiiichip;1943102 said:
The light means the coolant overflow bottle is low. Its supposed to look like a radiator. You'll also hear it called a birdcage light.
It was indeed low coolant, for some reason I was performing under the impression that my excess hose just ran straight out of the radiator to the ground, and I literally have no idea why that was.
Filled up my overflow bottle and the light is off, yay!