Slight knock

Mar 14, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Just want to get this diagonosed properly. I have an 89 Toyota Cressida which has a 7MGE engine obviously. I had it run low on oil for a while. Now when at a dead stop or in neutral when i blip the throttle, theres a slight knock between 1-2000 RPMs. Can someone properly tell me what is about to go wrong so i can be prepared for it?

jazzsaxman1988

smells like burnt waffles
May 6, 2006
Dinwiddie, VA
www.cygnusx1.net
When you filled it with oil, did you select the same and proper weight oil for the car? If not, you need to drain the oil and start from scratch- new oil, new filter. If it is the same weight, I'd suggest changing oil weights. Maybe someone else could recommend a weight for you- I've used 10w-30 with no problems, but others prefer various other weights. If that doesn't fix your problem, then you may just have to live with it. If it's knocking, then eventually that knock will become aggravated and possibly break a rod or some other nasty happenings of the sort. I ran a 7mge with an oil leak that I didn't know was there, and it started knocking and broke a rod, shoved the rod through the block outer wall, and subsequently jammed the crank in place. Needless to say- dead engine. Try my suggestion about the oil- if that doesn't work, you could probably take the crank out and take it to a machine shop to have it checked out. And new crank/rod bearings are probably in order. Best of luck!

jazzsaxman1988

smells like burnt waffles
May 6, 2006
Dinwiddie, VA
www.cygnusx1.net
BKCressida1718 said:
so even if i flush it or watever i'm eventually gonna have a rod knock or something? if so i should get new crank and rod bearings now then?

Not necessarily. Change the oil weight first. See if that corrects the problem. If not, the crank might be salvageable. If you pull it out, a machine shop will tell you whether it's history or not. Bearings, if it's knocking, should probably be replaced. This can get kinda pricey- also consider getting another 7MGE and dropping it in. I know that several people are in the midst of 7MGE->7MGTE or 1JZGTE swaps, so you can probably get a nice, running 7MGE for a good price, and more importantly- it'll be a good one. Just remember that the Cressida and Supra 7M's have several differences- there's a thread on this site in the 7MGE section about the differences between Supra 7MGE's and Cressida 7MGE's. Just search for Cressida.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Pull the engine and get new bearings now. The crank scuffed a bearing.
I'd do it now as it'll just be more money later.