Slight CPS problem

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
OK long story short, the entire body of the CPS will not slip into the tunnel it is suppose to. On the exhaust cam, the gears of both the cam and cps are together. The issue is there's about a half a inch of space between the head and plate the cps is on. I have some pictures of it ill post in a sec, but I have done a few searches and found it looks to be they are suppose to be flush. So I have no clue on what i'm suppose to do.

On a side note, I did have the head rebuilt, and they sprayed spray paint on the head, im thinking there might be a larger build up of paint in that tunnel, so i'm going to try using sand paper, and wear away at it. But ill see what happens.

p1737966_1.jpg

p1737966_2.jpg

p1737966_3.jpg

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
No it wasnt needed, I used acetone to get the slight build up of paint out of the tunnel, its in now, and sitting flush. Ill probably have to readjust when I get it first started...but for now, its on and im happy.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
just a side question here........ i need to replace the o-ring on my cps. can i just pull the cps out , install the new o-ring and re-install it? i figured i could use a marker to mark where it was so i can reinstall it correctly.
i know it's a noob question, but i'm a 7m noob. :)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Yes you can do that. Just need to make sure the rotor is in the same spot as you removed it and the engine as well. You will have to re time it tho.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
cool. can the cover be removed to "mark" where the rotor is? i'm just trying to avoid having to time the engine. lol

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Yes you take off the 3 8mm bolts and there is the rotor.

You can mark with a whiteout pen or paint pen where the cps is in the head and then either you can try and mark or take a picture or mental picture where the rotor is.
Best to just re time as its quick and easy but if you dont have a timing light i can see where you are coming from.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
TweeT91109;1738091 said:
No it wasnt needed, I used acetone to get the slight build up of paint out of the tunnel, its in now, and sitting flush. Ill probably have to readjust when I get it first started...but for now, its on and im happy.

Wait, so you didn't lube it? Hope you didn't tear the o-ring...