Single turbo 1JZ's. PVC set up? What are YOU running?

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
I've seen alot of pics/vids of single turbo 1Js and they almost all have that exh. side valve cover vent open to atmosphere.

It is either that ^^^ or a line to the pre-turbo intake pipe.

I was considering the second method.

What are you guys running and what do you have to say about it?

Thanks,
Sam

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
The first way is not emissions compliant, the second way is (in most states). The first way will keep oil vapors out of the intake pipes and turbo (but might spew them out wherever you vent them to), the second way won't (unless you have a catch can with an oil separator in the line).

Either way works fine.

That's not the whole PCV system though, that's only the crankcase breather tube part of it. The PCV tube is on the intake valve cover. You can leave that alone (other than swapping to a 2JZ PCV valve and hose if you have an early 1JZ with the recalled PCV valve), or you can run an oil separator catch can inline to keep oil vapors out of the intake.

I'm running stock twins on my car, but the type of turbo the car has is no concern to the PCV system. It operates the same irregardless of the turbo.

I'm running the breather tube to a Jaz mini breather can modded for a 5/8" hose inlet. The PCV side is stock.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Thanks for the reply.

I meant to point out just the breather side (turbo side)

Emissions are no concern. It just seems like alot of people are running with the breather open to atmosphere..

Anyone else care to chim in?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Im just going to run a filter on the pass side and leave the driver side hooked up the the manifold. Should be enough. Hopefully. Just want as few of lines as possible.

If the filter get covered in oil quickly ill just weld a an fitting on both the intake pipe and valve cover do it the other way.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Im just going to run a filter on the pass side and leave the driver side hooked up the the manifold. Should be enough. Hopefully. Just want as few of lines as possible.

If the filter get covered in oil quickly ill just weld a an fitting on both the intake pipe and valve cover do it the other way.