simple question about turbo efficieny and power

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
I was sitting in Stats today (class) and I was very bored. I let my mind wander and I started thinking about cams and turbo efficiency. here's what i was thinking....
IF... i put on larger cams that allow the engine to ingest more air at a given rpm AND throttle input, the turbo is going to have to spin faster to create your already set boost pressure. is that correct....?

in other words, i have my turbo set to 16psi, lets say my turbo with stock cams and my current set-up has to spin 25k rpms to create that amount of boost. IF i throw in cams and tune the car to 16psi, since the car now takes in more air, would my turbo have to spin like 25k+ rpms to now create 16psi?

i was trying to think of the engine as a pump, and psi as resistance to flow, not power. thats what i was told and it makes sense. also...... another quick question. is this the same reason tt v8's (low compression) only run 15 psi? i was thinking.... 800cfm could be more easily ingested by a 5.7 liter compared to a 3.0 liter. in other words, do our engines require higher psi to aquire the same cfm taken in by a low compression corvette engine?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Pretty much.

The higher your VE, the more air you injest per rpm.

The bigger your engine, the more airflow you need, before you create resistance (and build pressure).

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Doward said:
Pretty much.

The bigger your engine, the more airflow you need, before you create resistance (and build pressure).

You took the words right out of my mouth...............:biglaugh:

Actually I was going to reply................I don't know..Why you hatin?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Doward said:
Pretty much.

:werd:

You could possibly look at it this way also. Bigger cams will require the turbo to spin faster to produce the preset boost you want, thus increasing turbo wear and decreasing turbo life.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
You tell me this now after I've already got my cams installed............I thought we were friends. You will not be receiving a Christmas card this year my friend.