SILV Dyno Day

Malibyte

Boost-a-holic
Hi all -

I didn't find a subforum for national/international meets, so I figured this was the next most logical place to post this.

I'm helping Keith out this year by coordinating the SILV dyno competition this year. As it stands now, it's set for the first day (October 4th) at 8:30AM, again at Silver State Motorsports. The shop has moved, but is in the same general area as before. I will get more details as we get closer and post the address (though I'm sure Keith will also include the address in the flyer). The price should still be in the neighborhood of $50 for two runs; I'll get the final word on this soon, also.

I'd like some opinions on whether we should do it in the same way as in the past or make some changes. Here's a rundown of the classes from last year:

4/5/6 M NA - no turbo(s) no nitrous
NA Unlimited - any motor
7M-GTE Mild Turbo - stock CT26 housing no nitrous
2JZ-GTE Mild Turbos - stock CT12 housings no nitrous
7M-GTE Wild Turbo - any turbo(s) no nitrous
2JZ-GTE Wild Turbo - any turbo(s) no nitrous
7M-GTE Unlimited - anything goes
1JZ-GTE Unlimited - anything goes
2JZ-GTE Unlimited - anything goes

We only offered a single 1J class as any 1J Supras are an "extreme" modification. That and we didn't want to have just 3 1J Supras competing for 3 classes.

We're not sure if we will continue with the special afternoon groups (by invitation). We're open to ideas on how to make that better. Last year we only had a few cars show up in the afternoon, but having even a few big players with stupidly high dyno numbers show up does have a certain appeal.

In prior years, the classes were set up as to generation (MkII NA, MkII turbo, MkIII NA, MkIII turbo, etc.), but this didn't work real well for a couple of reasons:

(1) There were only one or two NA cars in a couple of gens that ran, so having a separate class for them was kind of silly

(2) Within a class, there could be a lot of variation - e.g. someone running a stock CT26 or other small single turbo wouldn't have much of a prayer against someone running a big phat single - you get the idea. For the MkIVs we had separate classes for singles and stock twins, so it wasn't as much of a problem there.

I'm sure there are some others that I can't recall at the moment.

So....fire back any opinions/ideas you might have. If the suggestions are all over the map, I'll try to work in the most reasonable but otherwise keep it the same as last year. Also, if anyone has any contacts among the big players (or ARE one yourself), give me an idea as to any interest in running this year. We're considering asking them to pay in advance, though, so we have an idea of how many will actually show up.

Thanks
Bob

Last edited: