signs of a starter going bad

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
watch out with those autozone starters. they are like 70 for a new (or rebuild?) and a local guy want throuhg 3 or 4 of them before we found another supplier for them. also when buying a starter make sure you ask for a 90-92 one.
1. they are lighter!
2. the holes are threaded
3. cheaper!
4. ummm that might be it.

just fyi ;)

Kroze

Lifetaker, heartbreaker.
Mar 30, 2005
South Jersey
MKIIINA said:
watch out with those autozone starters. they are like 70 for a new (or rebuild?) and a local guy want throuhg 3 or 4 of them before we found another supplier for them. also when buying a starter make sure you ask for a 90-92 one.
1. they are lighter!
2. the holes are threaded
3. cheaper!
4. ummm that might be it.

just fyi ;)

ugh. it's not cheaper :(. i just checked their website.

Starter for 1990 turbo $69.99
Starter for 1992 turbo $144.99

wish i knew this before. the starter is a pain in the ass to take out and put in the way they have the bolt mounted.

also, it's working great for me.

VanSupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Van,B.C.
Glad to here the new starter did the job. First thing I would have done was what Anh suggested though, and check grounds and clean all other connections first thing..

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
Kroze said:
ugh. it's not cheaper :(. i just checked their website.

Starter for 1990 turbo $69.99
Starter for 1992 turbo $144.99

wish i knew this before. the starter is a pain in the ass to take out and put in the way they have the bolt mounted.

also, it's working great for me.

did yuo give the auto store place your old one for a core? if not go buy a rebuild kit, fix it, and sell it ;)

Kroze

Lifetaker, heartbreaker.
Mar 30, 2005
South Jersey
Idealsupra said:
did yuo give the auto store place your old one for a core? if not go buy a rebuild kit, fix it, and sell it ;)

ya i gave them my core. got my $21 back.

my core is fucked physically. lol. i don't think they can even use it :) cause of the physical damage.

SpeedSuns

Apr 4, 2005
mine does something similar....but i think mine is a relay somewhere. Mine is an auto, and sometimes it won't start, it won't even turn, it makes a clicking noise from the front and sometimes clicks from the back (prolly fuel pump clickin)...I'll figure it out tho
-kev

Last edited: