(sigh) blowing efi fuse

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
ok guys, my car stays running after I pull the key out, and wont shut off. i can hear the starter going for some reason, if I keep fiddling with it, or try to stall it out the starter kicks over. I rewired the starter a few days before, but it was good.

Now, after i get her shut off, the efi fuse pops. I looked at the tewd, but mine is an 88, so no dice.

I'm going to take off the wire to the starter tomorrow and see what happens.

Does anyone know what the efi fuse is fed by? This car is definitely killing me.

I replaced the fuse, and drove it for almost two hours, no issue, it's only when I stop the car the efi fuse blows (after the car stops running that is)

What i did with the starter wire, was I ran a new one to the ign. switch.

But since I don't know what the efi fuse is fed by, I really have no way of checking.

Some help plz guys!

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
Hey thanks Jdub.

I think so too, I rewired it to a button, and it doesn't seem to be doing it anymore.

But the thing is that it only blew the fuse once or twice, not all the time. Hmm weird

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
Nope still doing it....should the efi relay (the one on top of the efi fuse) be getting hot? Is there a chance that the relay is bad?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
A few days ago, I read a thread where someone's EFI fuse was blowing too. There was a suggestion made about removing the EFI Fuse and installing a light bulb. Then unplugging stuff (fuses, relays, connectors, etc...) until the bulb dimmed or went out. You might start by pulling the relay you're inquiring about.

That will save you on fuses and point you in the right direction.

My guess though, is that it was something with your re-wire.

Good luck! :)

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Maybe you wired it up incorrectly? This diagram gives an idea about the proper starter relay bypass wiring. The signal should come from the starter wire at the ignition key area. Just be sure to tap into this wire and not to cut it off from the original circuit, and then just tape up the original lead that was plugged onto the starter. This way the ECU knows when you are trying to start it.
starterrelaydiagram.jpg

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
I have mine installed correctly. I have it to run from the starter to the IG2 switch (When you actually start the car) with a relay installed.

I checked out the usual spots too, the VSV, o2 wiring. All that stuff seems to be good. The wiring on the intake manifold looks ok, the tape is all there.

...frustrating. I think it's about to come to the point of rewiring the whole efi side.

Ok when I turn the key on, and off, it doesn't stay on. It's only when the car is actually running. So it seems like a two wires that have power are touching.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Don't know if this'll help, but a while back, I was driving along and the car just shut down. When I checked the fuses- the EFI was blown. I replaced it, and as soon as I tried to start, it blew. After like 5 fuses, I found that part of the harness was resting on the intake manifold near the EGR, and was shorting. I repositioned it properly, and have never had the problem since.