Siezed up tight!

DigityD'87

Feb 27, 2008
Portsmouth, NH
My 88 has been siezed since i bought it and has been sitting for going on 3months now. I know i need to rebuild the motor and probably has a warped out head but i really want to get in running if possible just to say it moves, lol. Any suggestions, mystery oil, breaker bar?

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
I'd just go with a long block and go from there. until you break the motor down you won't know what your dealing with.

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
If its siezed with rust you could pour some wal-mart lubricant down each hole and let it sit for awhile. Just make sure it has drained out before you try to crank it or you will hydrolock it and bend the rods. If it wont drain you can just leave the spark plugs out when you crank it or try to turn it over with a ratchet.

Use a 1/2" drive ratchet and work the crankshaft slightly back and forth. Dont turn it too far counter-clockwise though or you will skip a tooth on the timing belt and have to reset it.

Just go slowly so you dont break a piston ring.

If its seized with heat due to lack of oil you are probably screwed

DigityD'87

Feb 27, 2008
Portsmouth, NH
I'm pretty sure it was infact siezed from lack of oil or just overheated (big coolent leak). I'm going to try to break the crank free anyhow cuz i hate leaveing things sitting.

super7mgtepower

Apr 2, 2008
Lawton, OK
Have you looked up prices on a motor and tranny? The 1jzgte's are going pretty cheap, ive found it hard to find 7m's that are decent though.

DigityD'87

Feb 27, 2008
Portsmouth, NH
super7mgtepower;985029 said:
Have you looked up prices on a motor and tranny? The 1jzgte's are going pretty cheap, ive found it hard to find 7m's that are decent though.

I have look around a bit but don't know any trustworthy sites. It seemed like all the 1J's for sale where only about $200 more than the 7m's. I don't know why but i want to stay 7m unless convinced otherwise or found an outstanding deal for a 1J.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
if you go 7m do some reading and build it right. its very cost effective to do so.

also never assume a motor is good just because the company you bought from says so, break it down and spend a few hundred more to make it solid.

super7mgtepower

Apr 2, 2008
Lawton, OK
I love the 7m motor but ive seen the 1j to, and acceleration is awesome from the stock twins, but they dont offer much part's for the motor unless you go big single turbo. It's all on how fast do you wanna go, all i know is damn good deals for 1jz and tranny for like 2000 through royaljapanesemotors.com check em out. 7m long block for 1100 to.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
If you don't mind putting in a soarer 1jz, it'll save you a lot of money. I paid $1100 shipped for mine with an auto tranny (didn't use the auto though). I have a "how to" thread for putting the soarer 1jz stickied in the 1jz/2jz section. It isn't that hard to do at all. Just some wiring and getting the jza70 engine brackets.