Side Gear Shaft problem

kunfusion

Feb 17, 2008
Indiana
I have a '91 MA70 with w58 and G282 differential(trying to be specific enough). Recently the left side gear shaft started to make strange noises. It sounds like a grinding most of the time, which is louder at low speeds. It also makes a loud noise on acceleration and deceleration when the transmission is engaged. After having the rear end lifted off the ground I rotated the wheels by hand and noticed the side gear shaft moves towards the front and rear of the car when the wheel is moved forward or back. The differential itself isn't making much more noise than usual. I searched this morning and didn't notice anybody with a similair issue. The problem started about a month after having somebody replace the seals and clutch. I suspect he might have installed something wrong because after he returned my car it had a blown exhaust gasket, several bolts with the head broken off(including one bolt on the transmission brace >.<), and the shifter gasket wasn't bolted down. Could it be something simple? Such as the shaft not being installed all th way or a missing snap ring? Or would the side gear shaft/differential need to be replaced? I'm trying to learn how to do more things myself so I don't rely on the work of others. Any help would be appreciated, and thank in advance.

kunfusion

Feb 17, 2008
Indiana
I can see the flange that bolts to the axle move. TSRM told me its the side gear shaft. I'm sorry if I am incorrect.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Oh, it is attached, you are correct. The flange is splined into the diff. Those gears can come out, but it isn't common. You would have to pull the cover and look.

kunfusion

Feb 17, 2008
Indiana
Well, thank you for the help but sadly the differential went boom today after having an automotive shop look at it. They told me the differential didn't even have a month left in it, then after turning the first corner on my way home it went... So.... now I should probably post a want ad for a new differential -.-;; If anybody has a mkIII differential (entire pumpkin with the output shafts) LSD or open, I'm looking for one and will probably post a want add this week. Now I'm off to sell my dirtbike to pay for the differential. Thanks again Nick.