Shredding Alternator Belt

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Anyone have a good idea why the 7M is shredding the Alternator belt?
I thought it was due to a loose alternator belt, but I found it tight.
The engine is using the following mods, ATI damper, Beech Performance T6 Alumimum pulley set and Beech Performance Alternator relocation bracket.
Shredding only happened under hard accel from dead stop.
Anybody have similar problems?
Van

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
bioskyline;1786351 said:
check pully alignment, sounds like there not straight.
I too thought the pulleys were not aligned; when it happened.
It has just started doing this. The pulley set and alternator relocation bracket have been used for more than a year without this problem.
This morning, in the light of day, the shop's mechanic pushed on the alternator and it flexed the T6 Aluminum bracket. I think that the bracket may no longer be able to maintain alignment, under a hard launch. The mechanic thought I over tightened the belt. (I need to buy a belt tension guage).
Wednesday, the mechanic will look for the cause of the misalignment. ;)

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
An update: The mechanic discovered the issue... The Alternator bracket spacer was 9/32 too long. They machined that off and all the pulleys are aligned.
So, the alternator relocation bracket was new from Beech Performance; it worked well for a year and now it's shredding alt belts. He showed me before and after pictures and the old set-up was off by aprox two ribs on the Alt pulley, in relation to the crank and water pump pulleys. The 7M went through three belts, now it better be fixed!:: angry ::

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Well, that would definitely rip through belts if it was off by that much. Think of all the friction on the inner wall of the pulley keeping that belt on and how many thousands of revolutions it goes through just on a regular drive, it wears fast ;)