should I take any layers out of my hks 3.0 gasket?

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
Fresno, California, United States
So I just got done taking the head off and getting all the copper seal off the gasket, block and head. I was wondering if I should take some layers out of the gasket so I don't lose to much compression. I got the head and block decked plus the back part of the timing cover didn't get a amount of how much was taken off. Any one have this problem before? I don't have a caliper gauge to read what the thickness would be if I started taking layers out.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Wait it had a 3 and then you decked the block and head??? Why would u take any out??? Of it needed a 3 before you should add some:/ and poodles isright its the biggest ......... don't you know anyone with a set of calipers u can borrow for 5 min??? Maybe u can run it down to the machine shop u used and have them measure them real quick

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
kakanator;1745143 said:
So I just got done taking the head off and getting all the copper seal off the gasket, block and head..

Didn't I read somewhere on the forum that copper spray actually destroys the outer coating on mhg's?

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
MarkIII4Me;1745355 said:
Didn't I read somewhere on the forum that copper spray actually destroys the outer coating on mhg's?

when I got the gasket the viton wall almost gone so I got all the layers clean then sprayed the gasket with copper spray. but didn't spray the layers in between so I took it apart to re-clean and re-spray all the layers.

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

jdmfreak;1745177 said:
Wait it had a 3 and then you decked the block and head??? Why would u take any out??? Of it needed a 3 before you should add some:/ and poodles isright its the biggest ......... don't you know anyone with a set of calipers u can borrow for 5 min??? Maybe u can run it down to the machine shop u used and have them measure them real quick

I got the block from a friend for 50 bucks from the oil pan to the top of the block everything was there. So I just had the shop deck the block and bore it out for some new NPRs that I picked up just wanted to make sure it is strait and new. Then I got a head for free and had it deck for free also (gave the shop a Hyundai complete head) and I got 3mm hks for free so I can save money I am going to spray it again with copper spray before I install it on the block just wasted to know if anyone has had a problem using the 3mm gasket.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Oh ok good :) lol I would get some calipers then mesure the block and the head then see if you can get the right size from the layers u have

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
well looks like im doing a head gasket job I got a new hks 1.2mm last week. Today I tore the head apart. going to clean all the surfaces tomorrow. Anyone have any suggestions on what to use to get all the copper shit off and get it ready for the gasket? Also the gasket I got has some dust on it should I take it apart and wipe it down with a rag to clean it?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Clean dry cloth to clean the gasket. Clean the block and head with brake cleaner and get all copper spray off. Don't spray anything on the gasket.

barkz

Sep 14, 2010
Afghanistan
rivets arent really supposed to come off, thats why the rivet things. if ur that concerned about dust, go at it with an air compressor