Should i retorque my head or wait?

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
So i'm debating if i should re-torquing the head on my soarer or just wait till it blows. The soarer is a 88 model with 90k miles and still on the original head gasket and right now the car has zero issues. Other then an Apexi intake the motor is bone stock, even running stock boost and I want to throw BPU's at it but am kinda hesitant until i address the headgasket. Advice?

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Personally I would do the preventative work now.

Blowing a head gasket potentially does damage more on the motor than the HG alone. There are alot of other bad side effects from letting things get to that point that can be prevented. I believe even with a good metal HG it is good practice to do a re-torq after some time due to the heat cycling and the differences in metal between the head and the block.

I personally wouldn't throw ANY BPU upgrades at the motor without addressing this base issue and getting it handled. You will end with problems sooner or later otherwise, just depends on how far and what you going to do. The whole setup needs a good foundation from the start. Cut corners or "hope" things will be ok and you'll pay more later on.

But a re-torq is something I would not skip over. It's not a difficult bit of prevention, has no real cost other than some time spent on your part.

I would also want to know what they were originally torqued too, what type of hardware you are using? Bolts, studs, stock, arp? Did you use grease designed for the application when doing the initial torque or just motor oil? If arp and you followed their directions and specs and used their lube on the hardware (<<<The right way to do the task) You will likely be good. I don't believe it is even recommended to reuse the original stock ones at all. So there are many variables here.

This is my 2 cents on this topic anyways.

I see you have a GT-FOUR, nice! Always liked those, can be little sleepers. Spent a good deal of time in a friend's enjoying winter here when the Supra is hibernating.

Last edited: