Should i consider buying a Jasper engine????

satx88supra

Aug 16, 2009
San Antonio
I've come across someone who is selling a 7M-GTE Jasper ,he says 'performance', rebuilt engine. He claims he paid $7000 for the rebuild 2-3yrs ago. Ok i believe I can contact Jasper with the proper engine serial number they take down to see if thats true. My questions to you guys is this...Is it worth buying if its been sittting for the past 2yrs because the guy wrecked his Supra and hasn't fixed it? Is it a good idea to let engines just sit? What issues can I look for if a go check this engine out and possibly buy? Would i do better by just rebuilding mine? and last do you think Jasper engines are worth the price? I know alot of questions but i'm interested in this engine but IDK about it just sitting for 2yrs.

Last edited by a moderator:

KMinAF

Old Man
Sep 15, 2006
American Fork, UT
If it was kept dry i.e. no water inside the cylinders I would think it should be ok. I would probably pull the plugs and squirt some oil inside then rotate it by hand a few times before starting it.

T-MA71

Always broken down member
Mar 16, 2008
Nashua, NH
7k? i remember jasper had an ebaymotors account and were selling rebuilt 7mgtes and ge's for 1k-2k last year... Unless this is a decked the hell out 7M i wouldn't

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
unless its got a big turbo with all the supporting mods there no way they spent 7k on a rebuild. brand new is like 6k-7k

s000pra89T

SuFra TurVo
Apr 18, 2005
VA Beach
Jasper's are rebuilt/re-manufactured engines and should be no more than $3k. Like hvyman said, unless he's added stuff....no way.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
You may want to check the psi on the valve springs also. What is the guy asking for the motor? And is it a complete turn key motor or just the long block?

satx88supra

Aug 16, 2009
San Antonio
suprarich;1528568 said:
You may want to check the psi on the valve springs also. What is the guy asking for the motor? And is it a complete turn key motor or just the long block?

well I got a pic of the motor and I also found out it's not been sitting for 2-3yrs but over 5yrs. It's a long block, not too much more to add. Also from the pics it's got rust on the block. I'm trying to nail down a time to actually check the engine out in person but it's kinda hard since I work shift work. Also ...if I go see this engine what can I look or test for on site without having to possibly buy the check? Oh.. I'll get pics to you guys....he emailed them to me and I checked on phone.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If its a long block for 700 its bs unless its got forged pistons and you know for sure.

If it has been sitting for a few year its also prolly going to need a rebuild again.

Imo you would be better off buying a gte long block for 3-400 and rebuilding and knowing that you have a rebuilt block and not some unknown shit.

satx88supra

Aug 16, 2009
San Antonio
hvyman;1529502 said:
If its a long block for 700 its bs unless its got forged pistons and you know for sure.

If it has been sitting for a few year its also prolly going to need a rebuild again.

Imo you would be better off buying a gte long block for 3-400 and rebuilding and knowing that you have a rebuilt block and not some unknown shit.

Yeah...roger that!!! I thought maybe i'd catch a break on finding this engine but it seems more of a headache than the one i have know. At least I know what i have intsead of a guess. So thanks guys for the input i guess its off to find a good shop for a rebuild since i dont have the time (and experience) to to it myself. I may just buy that enegine on the cheap and make it my training project or something.
:naughty: