Short Shifter Info

Oct 12, 2006
Chicago, IL
Hi all, I have been searching the forum for info on a short shifter for the mk3. I have found a bunch of little blurbs on different short shifters all over the place and I wanted to try and get a bunch of opinions all in one place. I have gotten mixed signals on all the different shifters, the sogi mod, C's, etc. I don't want to modify the stock one, sogi mod or anything like that. So I want to hear from people who have put in aftermarket short shifters, tell me what you think about them.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
I have used a C's, Nashman and the SS shifter.

-C's I ran in may car for a year, it shifts nice and smooth and easy shifts, it is also isolated so you dont get any vibrations on the shifter. It is the stock height, so some might not like that. I also kept missing third gear while racing and shifting hard/ fast, which is why i pulled it out ans run a shortened stock shifter.

- SS V3 shifter, is super nice and shifts great, I never tried racing or shifting hard but I was really impressed with it for regular driving.

-Nashman, I drove some cars with the early prototype version, and the throw is really, really short, and it is ultra notchy. I personally didnt like it much but others love it, and I have no idea if the new production version is smoother, or if this particular car had stacked shifter bushings to make it so notchy.

- SOGI mod/ shotened stock. I run this currently in my car, I never miss gears while racing, the height is right where I want it, but I also get vibrations through the shifter. I am fine with this one.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Before you can get a good answer you need to ask yourself a simple question.

What do you want to do with your car?

If the answer is drag racing... then you want to go Automatic - if you must stay with the manual then the stock shifter is your best option. You get the most leverage without the risks of missing a shift.

If you want to be serious about AutoX or open track racing... then I think you'll want to stay with the stocker.

If you're just interested in daily driving then read on...

You've already eliminated the "Hacked Shifter" so this is all the time I will waste on that hack".

I've driven both the C's and the V3.

I drove the C's first and loved it. The height is perfect (the shift knob is at the same height as the armrest so you don't have to look like an idiot with your arm contorted at strange angles when you shift - it uses a more natural position - remember that I am 6'4" here so YMMV).

The V3 is AWESOME! SOOOOOO Similar to the C's - at least from my experience. I installed mine and then the next week drove 3000 miles round trip to Vegas and back with NO problems. A quality piece, made in America, by a fellow Supra owner. The shifts are quick and easy with a simple flick of the wrist.

I have not driven anything else - anyone in the Portland area with the Nash shifter that wants to let me drive their car so I can offer a comparison there?

Keith

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
NashMan;1314599 said:
i make em

And he does a good job;)

It's also fully adjustable so no matter your height or size you can get it just right. I love mine, it is "notchy" but you have perfect leverage and have not missed a shift when racing.

It is the only one I've used, so I have no comparison just so you know.

87tomanymods

87tomanymods
Oct 25, 2008
lansdale
www.myspace.com
i have which ever one suprastore.com had about 5 yrs ago (deff not the v3) its stock hight ,and i cut about an inch and a half . i like mine and have never missed a shift . it is a bit nochy feels very mecanical but i like it (reminds me im in a sports car)

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
im running the suprasport V3. all i have to say is that i love it. shifts so smooth and has a great throw. im running it at stock height right now, but the version i have is adjustable. im going to experiment with different heights this weekend but i cant see it getting any better than it is now.
ive run a hacked up stock shifter (sogi mod) and did not like it at all. lots of vibrations and very notchy. hated it
i would go with the V3 if i were you
-pete

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
Doward;1315136 said:
Do any of these shifters in this thread have a bolt-stop to prevent overtravel of the forks?

Ive always wondered why all of the supra aftermarket short throw shifters dont have this. I know Mustang short shiffters offer these bolts to prevent over travel. And you also get that cool sound from metal to metal when shiffting, and you can slam into gear real hard without causing damage.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
mine does well i don't use a bolt it just measured right so it does not over travel thus why it took me some time to get it right and why allot of people like mine and v2 got slight chnage for more worn trannies

Doward;1315136 said:
Do any of these shifters in this thread have a bolt-stop to prevent overtravel of the forks?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
redmaro;1315142 said:
Ive always wondered why all of the supra aftermarket short throw shifters dont have this. I know Mustang short shiffters offer these bolts to prevent over travel. And you also get that cool sound from metal to metal when shiffting, and you can slam into gear real hard without causing damage.

Looks like I'll have to design another part.

Custom shifters coming up after the rear BBK, it seems ;)

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
well you can slam mine tell the cow's come home

wonte damge a thing

i have done alot of rd work of treaing down trannies to find out stuff

CanadianLurch

Oct 14, 2008
Alberta
I have a N2 and i love it. Shit throw is soo short and has a nice feel to it, and fully adjustable the price was right as well as i got it in the group buy

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
well i have tried brads v3 in his car and umm not to bad found it to be littel bit nocher if remmber right and mine has shorter throw by a little bit

i find mine to much more ajustable since you can use the stock isoltor if you wish and change the hight all you like
all change the stiff ness on the shifter as well

there is nothing i can think of that i can add to this shifter to make it better

all so this might be the last batch i make but we will see

and i don't wana see it copied cause that shit just piss's me off

Guyana00;1315293 said:
Anyone able to compare between the N2 and V3?

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Well I don't have a cool short shifter where there is lil effort to put it in gear like the V3 from suprasport. All i did was cut down a shifter from an MK2 and put it in. I like it alot and I've gotten compliments and people say that it shifts pretty well only for being cut down. The process is actually more complicated then it sounds actually its just alot of man power and know how.

Last edited: