Short Block Build.

slow_yota

Gotta Pay To Play
Im about half way to becoming an ASE tech and I'm taking a rebuilding class at school.My motor has 160K and smokes like a demon at start up so wanted to tackle the task of rebuilding a 7mge-T this semester.Have to say that I'm genuinely fearful of the outcome after all the rod knock, bhg ect stories on here almost daily.Anyways..Ive torn down my spare engine and mounted it on a stand.
For right now, My goal is to just get the short block done..I traded for a refurbished cylinder head,
I would of done it myself but I just dont have the time to mess with that.

p1663480_1.jpg

This is my first total rebuild of a engine but I figure If I can nail this one down, I'll be able to build almost anything from here on.

First things first....Engine rebuild kit.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-9...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

This kit is a deal when compared to buying separately and the pistons are NPR which is the same as oem from Toyota per Drift Motion.So that will cure most of my needs for this rebuild...I did want to upgrade on the head gasket/oil pan gasket with Toyota oem and the bearings though.His bearings were sealed power and I've heard of them.

Bearings
Looks like the cream of the crop for bearings is between Clevite 77 and ACL.

Clevite 77:
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-clevite77bearingset7m.php

ACL:
http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Toy...ine_Bearings_for_87_92_Toyota_Supra_7MGE.html

But according to the link for ACL their p76 bearing is better than a clevite 77 if I'm correct.Any opinions would be great on that!

Machining/Shop work
- Resize, shot peen & balance stock rods.
- Micro polish, knife edge & balance crank
- Mill the block deck .0005 (and timing area I know)

Hardware
- ARP rod set
- ARP head stud set
- ARP main cap stud set

I think thats about it for now, Any concerns/comments or opinions are more than welcome.As many of the ppl on this board I'm a poor college student (thats addicted to speed) but want I to do this right and on the first time so don't be afraid to let me know your thoughts.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Stay away from ebay for bearings.

Dont order bearings or pistons until the machine shop has looked at the block.

Driftmotion is A+++.

Gl.

slow_yota

Gotta Pay To Play
hvyman;1663701 said:
Stay away from ebay for bearings.

Dont order bearings or pistons until the machine shop has looked at the block.

Driftmotion is A+++.

Gl.

Thats what I kinda figured on the bearings....but the Pistons are NPR and thats what DM sells and I'm going 20 over on the pistons so its going to have a new sealing surface...Would you rec'd buying just a gasket set from ebay and the pistons, rings and bearings separately/DM ?

DM NPR Pistons:
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-npr7m-gtepistonset.php

CT26smoker

Banned
May 25, 2010
Houston
slow_yota;1663480 said:
- Mill the block deck .0005 (and timing area I know)don't be afraid to let me know your thoughts.

.0005" is nothing......
It's 1/2 of a thousands of an inch.
Did your finger stutter when you were typing?

Bottom line, you need to cut the block enough to remove all the groves caused by old head gaskets wiggling around under boost.
You may be able to do that with .005", but it may take as much as .010".
And surface roughness is critical (talked to death on other threads, so I assume your aware of it.

Blackdawg

Taco Soup..my rides
Oct 12, 2010
Wyoming
are you just doing a stock rebuild? or high hp goals for shits and giggles :p

I used ACL bearings. worked great and fit perfectly

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Built a buddys motor with acl and npr pistons/bearings. Running great at 15k at 300hp with 57 trim.

Since you have the block apart machine for mhg 30ra or smoother.

Anything from dm is good.

Dont order bearings or pistons without taking your block to machine shop. This is the second time i say this. The machine shop will measure the bores and tell you what is needed and what you can get away with.