Shooter's Preference

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
I've been wondering about shooters' preferences on weapons and calibers recently. I figured I'd ask what people who shot liked in regards to what caliber or weapon chassis and why they liked them. Asking in a firearms forum is pretty much a moot point because each forum is generally geared towards one chassis or caliber.

So....what do you like? Please back it up with reasons why you like it.

Let's start off with some pistols:

Caliber: .45 ACP. Been in use for 100 years. Widely known and accepted. Sub-sonic speeds help to reduce possibility of over-penetration. Higher relative mass than 9mm or .40 cal also translates to more kinetic energy on impact.

Style of pistol: Semi auto. Quicker loads/unloads, higher capacity

Pistol Chassis: Glock. Out of the modern semi-autos it is one of the most simple and safe. While lacking an external toggling safety, it has 3 internal safeties that prevent the weapon from discharging without the user depressing the trigger (drops, strikes, etc). This also simplifies the process of drawing/shooting. While most pistols that have an external safety can be safely carried with the safety off, it is one more thing to be jammed or have to actuate if jarred out of place (or if you carry it in the 'safe' position). The Glock also has a hammer-less striker system - as opposed to an external hammer - which also affords consistent trigger pulls from the first round to the last, eliminating the pesky side effects of shooting single or double action on most other semi-autos. In most SA/DA combination weapons, the first trigger pull is heavier than the subsequent ones, due to the hammer having to be cocked by the action of the tigger being fully drawn to the rear. Single action pistols, while having consistent trigger pulls each time, requires to be first cocked manually. This requires the weapon to either being carried with the weapon on safe with the hammer cocked (not safe) or the hammer being cocked by hand after drawing the pistol (longer reaction time, also not safe). While the Glock is superior in many regards it still has the stigma of being 'unsafe' because of the lack of external safety and being a 'terrorist gun' or 'cop killer gun' because of the polymer frame. In reality, most accidental or negligent discharges from a Glock are caused by people who have not been trained properly or are just plain not paying attention. The lack of the safety makes the Glock an easy target. The polymer frame has led to the Glock being portrayed as being all plastic and being able to go through metal detectors unseen. This is plain impossible as the whole slide assembly is metal - as are the bullets! There are also many other polymer-framed pistols on the market, but the Glock was the first. The main practical drawback of the weapon is that they are rather clunky with many sharp angles and are rather square in comparison to other weapons of the same type. This makes them uncomfortable to carry unless certain accomodations are taken.

Honorable Mention: Colt Double Eagle. Variation on the venerable Colt 1911, it has been adapted to have a Single Action/Double Action combination trigger system, standard on 90% of other pistol designs. While this makes the weapon more of a capable carry/duty weapon, it did not sell well and was discontinued after a few years. It is a collectors item now. It has all the pros of the 1911 - simplicity, accuracy - and fewer of the drawbacks - single action only, no external safety, merely a de-cocker.

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
heh, sounds like someone knows his firearms.

i plan on buying at least one or two guns over the summer. im going to have to study up. any tips squid? :icon_bigg

all i have ever shot are .22's, 9mm pistol, .308 rifle. :biglaugh:

pretty sad eh?

NATAN666

yarrrrr
Apr 4, 2005
BC
user.dccnet.com
well based on my revolver experience, i liked the .48 bear hunting rounds the most hahaha ... in one sitting (standing?) i shot from the smallest to the biggest calibre ruger ever made revolvers in... or something like that... .22 to .48 (with lots of gunpowder) is a huge diff! heh.. thats all i know

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Living in Hunter central Colorado for many years, I have owned several different guns from pistols to target rifles. I have enjoyed all of them. One of the funnest was the AR-15, but it ate me out of house and home in ammo. Now that I'm in Cali I'm down to one gun. A SIG P229 9mm. I picked the 9mm because it seems to be one of the more developed ammo and gun styles out there. Plus I've fire a .22 pistole all the way up to a .45 Ruger RedHawk (That is a man of a gun), and I like the 9mm format the best. I was going to go with a Beretta for nostalgia reasons but I just couldn't get past how good the SIG felt, and all the safety feature it had over the Beretta. After shooting both, the Beretta felt like solid piece of metal, a very strong, brute force type of thing. Where as the SIG felt very refined and polished, they put a lot of work in to designing this one. Difference between Corvette and BMW I guess. I've been very happy with the SIG, It's very accurate, very reliable, very safe. I have no complaints with it, and has been my favorite gun thus far.

N

NDBoost

i'm looking at getting a nice hand gun but i have no clue what to look for.

I want something thats easy to shoot and handle but still packs enough punch if i need to use it for self defense at one point.

Any ideas?

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Stanza - Nothing wrong with a .22, 9mm or .308. A .22 is great to just go shoot stuff cheaply with minimal recoil. Great to train new people on or just to shred some soda cans. I love taking my .22 rifle out. 9mm, while not my favorite round, is everywhere. Many people swear by it, and there isn't anything wrong with it. .308/7.62mm is a damn fine rifle round. the .308 and the 30.06 are pretty much tied in my mind as to which is the best rifle round based on their track records with the military and hunters. My Korean War M1 Garand has a very special place in my heart. I can't make any reccomendations as to what type of weapon to buy until I know more about what you're buying them for. Home Defense, concealed carry, collecting, competetive target shooting, plinking, etc

Dirgle - The Sig is a nicely engineered weapon, but the ergonomics of it didn't fit me too well. The slide stop was hard to actuate because it was so low-profile in relation to the frame and mounted to far towards the rear to actuate it without changing my grip drastically. As for the Beretta - stay away from them. I've had nothing but problems with the M9/92/96 series. The military uses them, and many people love them. But I have a serious dislike for them.

ND - Would this be for concealed carry or home defense? What is your shooting experience? What have you shot in the past?

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
As far as handguns go I like the Kimber 1911. My first love in a handgun with the tried and true Colt 1911, but once I fired the Kimber I found it to be smoother and better balanced for me. My accuracy was better with it as well.

For rifles I love the M14. I think the .308 is just a plain out fun round to shoot. The M14 is a simple gun too. It's kinda like if you took and old M1 Garand, replaced the wood stock with composite materials, and put a more modern detachable clip on it, instead of the 8 round top loaded one.

I really want to move out of California and get myself an AR-10 (gotta love that .308). I like the frame of AR-15s, I just don't dig the .223 calier. I would really like to try out the Armalite AR-10T Ultra. It is their target grade rifle chambered for .300 Remington Short Ultra Magnum. It has a 3,200 fps muzzle velocity, and at 300 yards out it has almost as much velocity as a
.308 at the muzzle. Combine that with great accuracy and mmmm...that's some all out good long range shooting there.

And just for kicks, the Benelli M1 Super 90 tactical shotgun with the pistol grip buttstock is my favoritest shotgun. 12 gauge semi-auto is sweet.

N

NDBoost

Squid699 said:
ND - Would this be for concealed carry or home defense? What is your shooting experience? What have you shot in the past?

I'm not quite sure yet, i dont think i would carry it around so it will probably be more for home defense/target practice etc.

Not sure specific guns but nothing major, ive tried my hand at a few hand guns. 22's and 45's. Ive shot paint ball guns, pellet guns and one or two small calliber rifles. My experience is far from "comfortable" with them..

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Furball - The only drawback the 1911 has is the single action trigger. It's accurate and reliable as hell for target or competition shooting, but I'd never carry one concealed cause of the cocked&locked paradox.
The M14 is great, but you must be referring to the civilian M1A for 2 reasons: 1) M14's are military-only and have a selective full-auto, and 2) only the civilian ones have synthetic stocks. The military ones (and some civilian ones) have wood stocks too! :) But I must agree the .308 is amazing. I'd love to have an M1A to accompany my M1, but I just can't justify the 4 digit pricetag.
I've never been an AR fan. Like you, I don't like the .223 to begin with - always a .30 cal guy - and i've never really warmed up to the chassis. Something about when I shoot it hearing the recoil spring rattling under my ear didn't sit right with me.......inno, not my cup of tea.
As for shots, I like the old pump action setup. I opted for the Mossberg pumps because there were a few features I liked on it versus the Remington. The mossberg's elevator sits up flush with the bolt when the bolt is closed, so you have an easier shot at reloading - on the remington you have to push up on the elevator and if you're in a hurry or have slippery hands the shell can get pushed out of your grip. The slide release on the remington is right up against the trigger guard too, making it hard to use for unloading. the mossberg's is very easy to use. Once I went with the mossberg, I found their 590 model. Nothing like 8+1 for 2.75" shells and 7+1 for 3". It also has a bayonet lug and can take an M16 bayo lol.

ND - Well, I'd suggest getting a shotty to start for home defense. Easier to get your hands on, cheaper to buy and a lot more effective at close range. Still, if you want a pistol, go to a range that rents them and try what calibers and chassis you like and find one you can live with. come back a week later and try it again, see if you still like it. it's all about finding what's good for you. And always remember that practice makes perfect - no matter what weapon. go to the range, take classes - do whatever it takes to make yourself proficient - and SAFE!

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
I'm going to buy a WWII surplus rifle soon. Probably a M44 or K98. I hear the K31's are very nice/accurate, but the ammo is expensive, otherwise I'd probably buy that one.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
I'm not 21 yet but, would love to get an AR-15 when i do turn 21 or later down the road. I know how hard it is to optain a permit for an automatic weapon.

I've been meaning to post this into one of these gun threads, http://www.gunsamerica.com/
It has pretty much everything, please dont think this site is a click order and buy it, cause its not, ive had to many people think that.
but its pretty much like any for sale site, and it has all the local gun stores and some from far away.

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
aye mate said:
I want to end up getting some WWII era rifles. I really want an M1 Garand, Mauser K98 and a Lee Enfield.

Yeah I'm going to buy all of those WWII guns, except maybe the Garand as it's much more expensive than the others. Most can be had for around $100. It's le awesome.

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
Brewster said:
I'm going to buy a WWII surplus rifle soon. Probably a M44 or K98. I hear the K31's are very nice/accurate, but the ammo is expensive, otherwise I'd probably buy that one.

haha, not at all. It's dirt cheap. Infact the 900 round surplus case I just got in only ran me like 50 or so bucks. That's very inexpensive.

Mausers are great. Very powerful round that will reach out and touch someone 600+ yards away.

Caliber: .45 ACP. Been in use for 100 years. Widely known and accepted. Sub-sonic speeds help to reduce possibility of over-penetration. Higher relative mass than 9mm or .40 cal also translates to more kinetic energy on impact.

Velocity has a MUCH greater effect on KE than mass.

I would take over-penetration every day and twice on sunday over underpenetration. The .45 failed most of the FBIs penetration tests when they were adopting a new caliber.

I'm not 21 yet but, would love to get an AR-15 when i do turn 21 or later down the road.

You only need to be 18 to own a rifle.

I know how hard it is to optain a permit for an automatic weapon.

You dont get a permit for class III weapons. You pay for the "tax stamp" and transfer associated with an already registered weapon. However, it is a VERY VERY expensive game. Not to mention having to wait about half a year for the paperwork to clear. A registered M-16 will cost you no less than 15 thousand dollars. You can not make new full auto weapons, so more demand + dwindling supply of weapons = crazy expensive.

Pretty much the cheapest full auto stuff you can get into is a mac-10. Even then it's still going to cost you 4 grand minimum...

As to the thread topic... I've got too many guns (over 26 now). I like different calibers/platforms for different reasons.

The ultimate handgun calibers are 10mm and .45 super (NOT .45 acp).

Too many different rifle calibers, but anything .308+ is good times. 30-06, .303, .308, 7.62x54r, 8mm, 300winmag. Thems is some fun shooting.

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
If folks want I can post pictures of guns and their respective ammos. It looks like I already own alot of stuff yall are wanting to buy.

Here's a little handgun size reference chart I made:
p164928_1.jpg