Shocks

specialblend30141

May 4, 2006
SoCaL
my shocks are blown, and im lookin to get some good, cheap ones to replace. i have tems but dont got the money to buy the tems compatable. i heard the monroe's are cheap but too hard. any suggestions for brands??? and are KRB GR-2 shocks any good???

turbo4toy

Apr 2, 2005
Los Angeles
The KYB's are good my friend got some but i don't know how they do if you car is lowered. But for the money they are great. You can always check out ebay and take your chances on some JDM ones.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
i ordered gr-2s and eibachs from MDC, cheapest price i found anywhere and i got them within a week. still ahvent installed though

ians13

Nov 8, 2005
Jacksonville, fl
foreverpsycotic said:
i ordered gr-2s and eibachs from MDC, cheapest price i found anywhere and i got them within a week. still ahvent installed though

i have kyb with intrax springs they ride great.
just have to see how long they last. if you don't have good bump stops get some they are cheap.
you also going to need a washer because the top of the strut is a little to long so when the bolt is all the way tight it's still not tight on the strut mount so it makes noise.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
I don't think that's what he means. From what I've heard, you have to put a washer or two under the nut on top of the strut, or the nut will just turn the shaft, and strip out the shockmount...then you're back to square one.

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
Word on the KYB GR-2's, they are great and my car is lowered. Go to car-stuff.com and you can order a set of 4 shocks for $117 shipped, that's what I did and I got them in less than a week.

-Matt

forcefed

1990 7m moneypit!
Oct 13, 2005
rockford, IL
ians13 said:
i have kyb with intrax springs they ride great.
just have to see how long they last. if you don't have good bump stops get some they are cheap.
you also going to need a washer because the top of the strut is a little to long so when the bolt is all the way tight it's still not tight on the strut mount so it makes noise.

That's interesting because that happened to me as well on the rears and I put a washer with a rubber grommet on it and it is perfect.

ians13

Nov 8, 2005
Jacksonville, fl
johnathan1 said:
I don't think that's what he means. From what I've heard, you have to put a washer or two under the nut on top of the strut, or the nut will just turn the shaft, and strip out the shockmount...then you're back to square one.

"BINGO" that what i ment and to did manage to strip out the strut mount no biggie. fyi use locking washers.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
I know this thread is old, but I am having the stripped shockmount problem with my KYB shocks...the driver's side nut went on fine, and I was able to tighten it, and it isn't loose, but the passenger side stripped out... I have only done the rears, but do the front shocks do this too? Or is it just the rears that have the problem?

J87Supra

Wanderer
Sep 30, 2006
San Diego/Campo
sorry for thread jacking but

what kind of springs would go good with the kyb's? i plan to drop the car soon and i currently moved to Campo and the roads wind alot, i want a relatively stiff ride on a budget(and i love to blast it on corners)