Shimming a diff?

terror

Antibliss
Jun 13, 2008
Alaska
okay, so im lookng at some diff options as my 20 year old lsd no longer works properly. I dont want to weld it because i daily drive it and i cant bring myself to fork over $900 for a kaaz. Ive done some searching and ive heard some people were shimming thier diffs to have them lock up easier. im just looking for some info on what exactly this entails. and if there are any other options on locking up the rear easier. thanks.

WeirPerformance

Jul 9, 2009
CA, USA
terror;1441304 said:
okay, so im lookng at some diff options as my 20 year old lsd no longer works properly. I dont want to weld it because i daily drive it and i cant bring myself to fork over $900 for a kaaz. Ive done some searching and ive heard some people were shimming thier diffs to have them lock up easier. im just looking for some info on what exactly this entails. and if there are any other options on locking up the rear easier. thanks.

Here's some good info although the shimming part is not explained well enough in our opinion. We are finishing up our kits for this LSD. It will come with springs, shims and instructions.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100618

Spence Weir
Weir Performance
707-315-6638

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
there is a full breakdown on how to shim it over on the "other" forum. The guy goes through how to do it all and what not, but id by a used diff and then reshim it or rebuild it on my own. Nothing worse then a time crunch on things like this...