Shimmed Wastegate

gp-7mgte

Ramrod
May 29, 2005
under my hood
how do i shimm the wastegate, and what are the benfits of doing this, and are there any precautions to take when doing this? Or are there are disadvantages of doing this?

88SupraTurbo

Apr 17, 2005
gp-7mgte said:
how do i shimm the wastegate, and what are the benfits of doing this, and are there any precautions to take when doing this? Or are there are disadvantages of doing this?

take x amount of washers (usually3-4) and put them on between the 2 bolts and the wastegate plate thing and your done. the benefits of this are your turbo will put out more boost meaning u get more power... dont put 2 many washers on at once or u may wreck somthing. A disadvantage would be the argued wastegate wearing out faster resulting in turbo failure.

turbo4toy

Apr 2, 2005
Los Angeles
LOL.......I put in 4 washers to start with and let the car warm up to get everything warmed and lubed. took it out for a spin and floored the shit out of my car and sent the stock boost needle way off the gauge and put my check engine light on..........lol it was fun as shit but a little too much. Anyway I would start with 2 or something and go from there.

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
i ran two shims(8psi). its works fine but i think is worth the $15 for an mbc, they do the same thing. mbc's are adjustable whereas the shims you have to do some digging to add/remove boost. also with an mbc there is not way the wastegate could wear out.