Shifting issues, and questions about adjustment

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
Did a BHG job on my 91 turbo and somewhere in the mix the throttle adjustment on the tranny cable got all messed up car shifts pretty weird when its cold but shifts non the less, so any info on how the properly adjust this line, and the fluid level is good.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
IF you go full throttle, The little Metal collar on the cable it self should stick out passed the boot about 1 mm.. That is proper adjustment.. The A340's are known to be temperamental in the cold.. Mine wont shift out of first and when it does its a hard shift and skips 2nd gear goes right to 3rd.. But once the fluid is warmed up it shifts just fine..

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
thanks for the help man! yea i have a cooler on it to which prolly doesnt help at startup but after it hits operating tempaerature im sure it does.

1970hd

Sep 24, 2010
Decatur Tx.
Hey guys, I think the manual says it won't shift to O/D until the water temp comes up not 1st to 2nd so I think you both have a problem, also if you don't have a good connection for the harness on the TPS it will go to limp home mode and skip 2nd shift funny how ever you want to put it. But if all it takes is letting it warm up before you drive it you have time to figure it out ... look for transdude on supraforums his name is John and he builds trannys for IPT import performance transmissions he might help or go to thier web site

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
search in google A340E Cold conditions.. It is common not only in supras but in 4x4's and lexus's with A340's the same thing happens, It is supposed to do it