she never blew...

MK3Jay

Jun 4, 2012
LA
Ok so I take the fault and stupidity for this one. It seems my head gasket actually never blew. I only assumed it did because I had the symptoms that cause a bhg. Actually took her to 2 local canyons tonight and she performed flawlessly. Turnbull canyon road and GMR Glendora mountain road. See when I saw the coolant light pop on and read what it usually means "a bhg" I freaked out and assumed it was. Turns out it wasn't the case. The smoke out my exhaust was because I didn't have a cat installed. (installed it today and final visit to DMV to finalize registration is on Wednesday). Other than that she never leaked, never overheated, never had loss of power.the coolant light went off after i added coolant and i noticed when ever i twist and turn the car or go over a bump that coolant is being flopped out of its caister. It seems my coolant cap does not seal or close completely. Can i get that replaced? Could it be a bigger problem? All i a fool for assuming the worst? Or am i to in love with the car that i won't want anything bad to happen to it? Haha she's my first supra so ya every little thing worries me :/ . P.s still plan to rebuild the engine.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
MK3Jay;1847976 said:
See when I saw the coolant light pop on and read what it usually means "a bhg" I freaked out and assumed it was.

Not that it matters now, but it doesn't mean that. It means the switch in the over flow bottle is open. Being 20+ years old, it can do that from corrosion, in addition to its main function of letting you know the resevoir is empty.

Other than that she never leaked, never overheated, never had loss of power.the coolant light went off after i added coolant and i noticed when ever i twist and turn the car or go over a bump that coolant is being flopped out of its caister.

You need a combustion leak checker. It works definitively.

It seems my coolant cap does not seal or close completely. Can i get that replaced?

Yep. With a new cap. And that will cause the coolant to over flow. When it does, it spills on the ground while driving. Something you won't notice.

Could it be a bigger problem?

Yep. You have to do tests to find out.