Setting the Distributer.

89Joe

POTATOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
Alright heres the deal guys. I recently Purchased a new distributer to replace my old one, problem is, the car now doesn't start. Reason being, is that when I took the old distributer out, I didn't align the new distributer with the old ones position when it came out, so now it doesn't fire correctly. Question is, can I set the engine to TDC then put the distributer in? Will that fix my problem? I found this post, but it refers more to "setting timing."

jazzsaxman1988 said:
Timing can be extremely annoying. Once your internal timing is set (lining up the marks on the cam/crank gears) you have to set the distributor timing. Take out the distributor, then set the engine to TDC (top dead center- I usually do this by taking out the #1 spark plug and sticking a screwdriver down in the hole, then turning the crank until the screwdriver doesn't rise anymore) then put the distributor back in after lining the middle of the three dots on the distributor shaft up with the notch on the gear. After you do this, you need to take a timing light, hook it up, then highlight the notch on the crank pulley (I usually use a white paint pen). Look at the label on the underside of the hood (that's where mine is, at least) and find out how many degrees ahead you need to set it (Mine is 10). Start the engine, then point the light at the crank pulley. It'll light up as the spark plug ignites, and you'll see the mark on the crank pulley in relation to the timing degrees on the crank case. Turn the distributor to line the spark with however many degrees you're supposed to advance the timing. Tighten it down, and you're done! Hope this helps...

I think I'm making this seem more complicated then it is...I need some reassurance on this though. It was a big mistake on my part, and I'm now paying for it. So any help would be much appreciated!

MA70Supra88

Boostless
Mar 31, 2005
Boerne, TX
Yeah it really isn't very hard. Put the engine at TDC, align the rotor in the distro with the #1 plug on the cap, install the distro, then set the timing. The TSRM was very helpful for me when I did this.

89Joe

Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
Hot titz! I got it running! Thanks guys! Started right up on the first try! Runs like a champ! Whos down for a meet now!:evil2:

+1 to both of you!

suprasport91

GO BRUINS!!!
Sep 27, 2005
Seattle, Wa
I thin ki may be having the same problem right now..did our car just keep turning and pop every once and a while? I just installed a new head gaket along with a couple of other things but its not starting? What was your car acting like?

89Joe

Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
Exactly like you said. The engine would crank but it didn't fire over. Popping could be heard but that was about it.