seat dye

CBurgs'88

Apr 14, 2007
Detroit
I have searched for info on dyeing fabric seats but have only found info on the vinyl paint for dashes, etc.

I am currently in the process of changing my interior to black and am done with most of the trim pieces and dash. My rear seats are burgundy fabric, though, and they're really faded. I was just wondering what the best way would be to dye them black. I've been using Duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint, but heard they're not good for seats. Any suggestions?

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
I also tried dyeing the seats just a bit, even with my "special" spray, and didn't work out as good. It was only a test run, cuz my seats are in dyre need of an actual re-upholstery job. Still, with the spray I used, even though it was a short test, it held up good. I'm just not comfortable with the idea of actually sitting on something that is dyed. Panels and trims pieces are a completely different story.

CBurgs'88

Apr 14, 2007
Detroit
I know what you mean about sitting on them. The good thing is its my rear seats, so it'll be my brother and his/m friends sitting back there, not me. Out of curiosity, what spray did you use? Also, by "holding up well," did you test it by putting water on it or trying to rub it off, or did it just not fade for a while?

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
I could have sworn I had a picture of the spray on the forums. My best friend is at work so I haven't picked up the camera yet. I'll keep looking.

Anyhow, yeah, I rubbed them with water (AND about 10 different soaps), and the spray passed. At least the one I favor. It doesn't fade, but my car is out in the parking lot, in a place with no shade, and the tropical sun hitting it (I do live in Puerto Rico). On the dashboard, without any cover at all, and no front tint, after about...... I know it as over a year, the dye FINALLY felt not so smooth. Still had a nice texture, but it wasn't PERFECTLY smooth. I re-dyed it, and I'm using a front shade thingymajig (which everyone should use anyhow). I wash it every 2-3 weeks with Gojo soap and some clean water (I have a distiller). Feels and looks just perfectly. The doors are dyed with the same stuff too.

The seats, I only tested them for about a month or 2. So I don't know how it would hold up against constant useage of the sort that seats receive from sitting down on them and such. Give me a few minutes while I find the shot of the spray can. I KNOW it's in here somewhere or in the pc.

EDIT: found it in the pc. Thank God I keep the pictures organized. I'm busy atm so I can't find the thread I made with just my interiors, but do check up on my build up thread. Search for "¶:p" in the build up section, and it will show up. Or just search my nick there. Anyhow, spray is in the attachment.

Attachments

• DSC02641.JPG
    DSC02641.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 27

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
what if you had a burgundy and wanted to go to gray? would you have to bleach it?

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
makes sense but didnt know if it'd eat holes through some of the materials.

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
I wouldn't know. Haven't used that stuff. Still, might be worth a shot to try out next year depending on how the interiors hold up. If they hold up just fine, as they have for already over a year (I re-did the plastics over a year ago cuz I had used a different spray before), then I will save the expense and use my money on more important things. Else, I'll give this a try.

CBurgs'88

Apr 14, 2007
Detroit
Thanks for the help. I finished all the trim, and today went to put it back in the car. I painted the dash with the duplicolor stuff, and guess what... there's two large air bubbles in it. Luckily, there in spots that aren't too noticeable, but I'm worried that the sun will crack them or something. I'm surprised though, because everything else came out fine.
Also, my rear trunk pieces (the two large ones on the sides), are screwed up now because the paint started flaking off in certain spots.

I'm kind of dissapointed because I though I had finally painted something succesully after spending many hours on it and thoroughly prepping every piece.

I'll definately try out that paint for my seats though. I shouldn't be using the rear seats enough to do too much wear on the paint. At the moment the car still needs body work anf the engine to go in, and will be a project from there.