Seat belts

jz*supra

Jan 14, 2007
Lethbridge, Alberta
I removed my seat belts over the winter with intention of having a cage built and using harnesses. I did not get my cage built so i need to use the seat belts for a few months.
My problem is the seat belts fully retracted and now will not relase. They are locked in. I have tryd hanging the seat belt in the factory location to allign the internals but no dice.
What am i missing? i have searched and found nothing
Thanks.

manzai

2 supras and counting!
Jul 20, 2006
North Vancouver
It could be the angle that belt is in the housing at. Can you pull the belt even just a little at another angle? You've probably tried this already, but the angle at which you pull is sooooo important. Also, when you installed them in the vehicle, could you have mixed up the lt and rt's?

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
IIRC, there's a ball inside there that has to sit in just the right place or the seatbelt won't come out. And, there's a centrifugal latch that keeps it from coming out too fast. Either of those may be latched and won't let go.

There's also a release lever operated by the car door that makes them retract faster.

What you'll probably have to do is get the ball in the right place, make sure the door-operated lever is in the right place, and get the belt to wind up a little bit more to release the centrifugal ratchet. Recall that most seatbelts, once locked, have to be retracted a bit to free them.

Good luck.

Asterix