Satx88supra Build.....starting over

satx88supra

Aug 16, 2009
San Antonio
Well I decided to finally do a build (sorta) thread for my 88 grey Supra turbo. A little history....got the car a little over 2yrs ago. The car ran but leaked oil everywhere so the plan was to do a refresh of all the gaskets and run it until money was good for a true rebuild. Well life and school (daughter going to Texas State) slowed ...no...stopped any money to be put on a 'project'. Here's a few pics when i picked it up at a raceway in San Marcos.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's what she looked like inside....

attachment.php

attachment.php

So she sat for about 3months before my bro-n-law gave me the long block for a white Supra he had with a bhg. Bought a OEM gasket and put it on. Yanked the old engine and placed the 'new' one in......

old out..
attachment.php

'new' block & gasket
attachment.php

engine in...
attachment.php

This should be good news but as we did a compression check #1 and #2 cylinders were very low....i believe it was something like 60 and 90psi.
Still tried to figure out what happen and i'll just say rookie mistake. So the car sat for another 6months. During ths time I did get the inside somewhat lookin ok. I changed the red/maroon interior to a grey/black theme...

attachment.php

attachment.php

So now it's early 2011 (April/May)and bro-n-law in law buys his 4th Supra and decides to go 2JZ. When he does this he had already purchased a built 7MGTE short block. He asked if i wanted to buy it and i asked the finance company...da wife...if i could get it. I was approved!!! Here were the specs...

Je pistons
Eagle rods
Machined block
Clevitte Bearings
Arp studs.
Gates water pump
Gates racing timing belt.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

So I'm happy now got a descent start on a build finally. Had a machine shop here in SA put it together since i'm still considering myself a rookie. Got it back and it was all purdy!!

attachment.php

Decided to run with the grey/black theme..

attachment.php

attachment.php

Spagettii mock up...rookie stuff goin on here. Had a buddy (Suprapowaz!(2)) help out on rebuilding my cylinder head. He did a good job and saved me some money and time for me to try a learn to do it myself. I learned something and i think i could handle doing a cylinder head myself next time. Sorry for not having any good pics of the new engine going in was too excited and blazed right through. So i do have a video of first start up.....

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/2153/67kp.mp4

So that brought me to around Sept 2011 and finally i've been diving the car since then. It's been really nice and i was planning on getting more power this summer. But here is where I'm gonna be more detailed with pics and updates. I'm going to bypass the power (for now) and go with making the car look good to the eye. I also have some annoying oil leaks i need to take care of. Some wireing issues to get fixed.....yeah all this do to my rookie impatience to rush to get the car running. So starting this weekend i'll be pulling the engine, fix wiring harness, paint engine bay/car, upgrade clutch, and then see if i have any money left for the 400hp limit i wanna reach. So i'll try and update as much as i can with better pics as i progress through the re,rebuild.

Last edited:

satx88supra

Aug 16, 2009
San Antonio
Yessir that was one of my leaks. It didnt have a gasket when it came back from the shop. made one out of gasket paper to stop it. I also had to change out the studs on the turbo drain tube (the ones above the dipstick tube one the block) due to mine being stripped.