Satanic A340E!

Jervis Mcstabby

Puddin Pops!
Jun 21, 2006
Where Indeed, CA
www.myspace.com
Ok, this isn't a new problem per se, but it's come back so it technically is a recurring one.

Story goes like this:

Bought a rolling shell beginning of the year. Engine/Back Hatch were done for, rest of car was fine, if not a bit rusty. I Transferred everything salvageable from my crashed red MA70 into the new shell, no real problems.

When it came to first startup, no problems, engine purred, I was happy.
Then I tried to put it in drive, it wouldn't shift out of first (new fluids, torque converter was full, and everything was flowing through the lines perfectly, levels were fine). Checked for codes, got 61. got I checked both the speed sensor (and harness) and the throttle linkage cable, all checked out fine.

After trying to get it to work for a week or so, I figured it was out of my league, took it to a family friend's auto shop, so he let his work partner take a crack at it, who was a 80's/90's Toyota L1 Master Tech. He checked/rechecked all the wiring, relays, voltages, ECU, ECT, grounds, and everything else electrical/mechanical you could check. He even had newer 'Yota guys come in and bring in their equipment.

No shorts, exposed wires, severed wires, nothing. From a testing standpoint, the car was "operating" perfectly. Still was giving code 61 though. He had it for two weeks, couldn't figure out what was going on with the car (got pissed). After another week, I got fed up and called up Marlin Crawler about getting the R154 in my garage rebuilt.

A day after calling, I get a call from the Toyota guy telling me "It's working!!! I don't know what happened, but it shifts!!"... So it would seem my demon tranny was aware of my replacement plot... After that day, tranny shifted just fine, but would still give a code 61.

Until this Monday, everything was peachy.

Now The tranny is doing what it was this January, except now, it gives no codes at all!

Now I'm switching to a manual, no matter whether the tranny gets fixed, or "fixes" itself again, but I figure I'd post this up and see if anyone has had a similar problem with an A340E and if they they found a fix, what was it?

Jervis Mcstabby

Puddin Pops!
Jun 21, 2006
Where Indeed, CA
www.myspace.com
suprahero;1098983 said:
I agree with you 100%.....A340E is da devil.
Jay, If that slushbox bastard had hands and a mouth, it would be wringing its hands (menacingly of course), while yelling through the firewall, "Mmmmmyour engine is running perfectly, such a shame you can't use it!!! Mmmmmmmahahahahahalololololololololyesssssssss, quite!"

jdub;1099030 said:
Had a similar problem...turned out it was a bad ECT.
pogoism9;1099057 said:
bad trans ECU or bad gear selector switch assy.

Yeah, we thought that too starting off. We have two ECTs lying about, but both tested fine with the Toyota equipment, and the problem was still happening. I'll have to check the switch assembly when I pull Satan tranny out of his lair!

thanks for the quick responses guys,
Bryan

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Jervis Mcstabby;1099232 said:
"Mmmmmyour engine is running perfectly, such a shame you can't use it!!! Mmmmmmmahahahahahalololololololololyesssssssss, quite!"
Bryan

That's exactly the same voice Vonda's car uses...............:aigo:

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
I'd look for a stuck solenoid, or a burr in the valve body hanging up the accumulator(s). I'd also look for a stray piece of trash caught in there as well. Just a tiny sliver can hang the accumulators up, and not let the fluid pressures build or release correctly.