safc installed now hitting fuel cut at 10psi

soupersupra

Apr 7, 2008
Spokane, WA
alright so I just installed the safc2 on my 88 turbo supra 7mgte and im now hitting fuel cut at 10 psi. yesterday without the safc2 I hit 14 psi no problem. I initialized it and all. im wondering what might not be right in the settings that might make it do that. maybe a common issue? let me hear your ideas.

mods:
3" turbo back exhaust no cat
manual boost controller
apexi intake
driftmotion ic and hard pipes
tial q bov
afpr
aem eugo
I believe that's it

soupersupra

Apr 7, 2008
Spokane, WA
I'm not sure I was afraid of causing damage to the car. But it threw a code for afm. I'm on stock 440s. I'm just trying to even set a baseline.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Hmm, well fuel cut means the ECU thinks you're beyond the fuel map (too much air). Can you tell what air flow and fuel trim settings the SAFC is using? Sounds like it's a little off - perhaps playing it way too safe, tricking the ECU to thinking there's more air than there actually is. This would in turn make it rich and you'd hit fuel cut early.

soupersupra

Apr 7, 2008
Spokane, WA
I had everything set to flat on the graph chart. i initialized it and then set the settings to karman and 6 cyl with the arrow set aimed to top right. im very new to the safc 2. ive read and watched videos of how to set it up and tune it.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Hopefully somebody else can chime in with SAFC2 experience. Beyond the real basics I'm not much help here. Never used the SAFC myself.

Was the car running perfectly before the SAFC addition?

Supraboy89

Oct 25, 2006
Hampton GA
soupersupra;2047377 said:
I had everything set to flat on the graph chart. i initialized it and then set the settings to karman and 6 cyl with the arrow set aimed to top right. im very new to the safc 2. ive read and watched videos of how to set it up and tune it.

you will have to start pulling fuel with the safc to change the fuel cut point.

soupersupra

Apr 7, 2008
Spokane, WA
IndigoMKII;2047478 said:
lol. SAFC on stock turbo and injectors/fuel pump.
im using the safc2 to just get it running more efficient is all. injectors, lex afm, 57 trim, and fuel pump all coming shortly.

suprarx7nut yes it was running fine.

I was assuming that having the graph chart flat would be giving me no change in the fuel.

soupersupra

Apr 7, 2008
Spokane, WA
I was under the impression tuning on stock injectors has been done. but I could be entirely wrong. and i just haven't researched the maft pro. why wouldn't stock injectors be tunable?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
noel;2047485 said:
i thought you couldnt tune with stock injectors....
and why didn't you go with a MAft Pro probably wouldn't have this problem..

Just different systems to do similar tuning. What makes the SAFC a bad choice for stock injectors? It doesn't matter what injectors you have. The "tuning" in all piggyback systems (SAFC and MAFT alike) is all about tricking the Factory ECU by trimming the sensor signals going to the ECU. You can tune the OEM injector just fine.

soupersupra;2047489 said:
I was under the impression tuning on stock injectors has been done. but I could be entirely wrong. and i just haven't researched the maft pro. why wouldn't stock injectors be tunable?

You can certainly tune stock injectors. Ignore the comments above. Not sure what they're talking about.

soupersupra

Apr 7, 2008
Spokane, WA
ok that's what i thought. thanks suprarx7nut
im only going to run the safc2 for a while till i go all out and build the motor and i am going to go with aem standalone. but for now i feel the safc2 should help out a bit while i do my bolt ons and such.
also i did want to ask about knock sensor rewire. when and why would you need to do it.
when i hooked up the safc2 initially the car threw a code for knock sensor and wouldn't start. my buddy (who knows supras pretty well) said that it might need a knock sensor rewire.
but it runs fine without hooking the knock sensor wire up to the safc2. any knowledge on that subject?

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Your car will start and run with the knock sensors completely removed from the car just fine. Just expect massive amounts of fuel added and timing retarded beyond belief.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
If the knock sensor circuit is showing fault(code 52), then there's no point in trying to tune the SAFC until you repair it.

PS- If you installed the SAFC in order to improve efficiency, then I'm guessing that you've had code 52 for awhile, as that will kill mileage.