Ryans ma70 supra

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
1986.5 SUPRA 7M-GE;1890037 said:
Great idea with the intake, someone had also attatched a pod filter onto my AFM when bought so I will be tackling that as well. Best part is I can put that on the motor i'm rollin' with now and switch it over after the rebuild! Thanks! And that'd be great measuring the weight because my a/c works but it's on it's way out it squeals off and on when you try to turn it on, and I ride with the "275 a/c" lol in the summer months anyway, and bay room is always a plus.

Haha I'd be one to blast the a/c as it would be the first car I have owned to have it, always removed it or car hasn't had it. Cool idea with the AFM, does your pod filter have an adaptor off the AFM ? I have one at the moment to suit "most Toyota" It will do for now but it's not very good for the long run, I'm having bad luck finding one...

Will get the a/c weight of what I have removed so far I don't think it's much but keeps me happy.

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Okay so I haven't added any photos of my engine bay as I have seen that almost every bay on here is super clean and tidy and thought I'd wait until the bay was a bit tidier before I did but here it is, it's not much but as you can see I have replaced my valve covers now and also sorted out the poorly modified induction that the previous owner attempted. She's running very well and so far has been super reliable. Photos are from a GoPro.

p1890250_1.jpg

p1890250_2.jpg

1986.5 SUPRA 7M-GE

Jan 25, 2012
Colorado
ryansmith;1890039 said:
Haha I'd be one to blast the a/c as it would be the first car I have owned to have it, always removed it or car hasn't had it. Cool idea with the AFM, does your pod filter have an adaptor off the AFM ? I have one at the moment to suit "most Toyota" It will do for now but it's not very good for the long run, I'm having bad luck finding one...

Will get the a/c weight of what I have removed so far I don't think it's much but keeps me happy.

The p.o. had put some cheap adaptor on it.. not really sure where he got it from but it had a small crack in it so I ran down to the auto store here in town and they had one but it didn't exactly fit so I just drilled my own holes in it, and made sure to back it with a good looking gasket. It's worked for me so far but I feel I could find something better haha

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
1986.5 SUPRA 7M-GE;1890286 said:
The p.o. had put some cheap adaptor on it.. not really sure where he got it from but it had a small crack in it so I ran down to the auto store here in town and they had one but it didn't exactly fit so I just drilled my own holes in it, and made sure to back it with a good looking gasket. It's worked for me so far but I feel I could find something better haha

I see, mine had the correct PCD but there were small gaps between the edges of the adaptor and the AFM so yeah I did as you did and put a really nice gasket behind it will need to track one down soon though that fits correctly. I still haven't had the time to go weigh all the a/c components that are out so far I will try do that this evening. I saw your post in your thread about the tail light gaskets, bad luck about getting two of the same side, maybe read up on this thread, sometimes the leak comes from other places too like the hatch glass, sits in the large piece of trim under the hatch at the very rear -

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...ut-all-else-has-failed..&highlight=hatch+leak

1986.5 SUPRA 7M-GE

Jan 25, 2012
Colorado
Yea thanks for weighing all that, and i'm pretty sure it's my tail light because it get's down into the jack compartment and pools in there and rarely is there ever water on the right side... but it very well could be my hatch trim they're in very rough shape haha i've attempted to plasti-dip them before but it didn't hold well at all. And I aslo orderd all my new intake setup material should be expecting that soon in the coming weeks thanks for the thread about n/a setup I feel a lot better about it and it will a LOT more clean in the bay!

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Yeah mine gets a little water in LHD drivers side also, my drivers side (RHD) stays dry and seems it's most leaks are the left hand side area...

No worries about the a/c will get it done as soon as I can and the weight should stack up once the rest of it is out and that way I can keep track of the weight as I'll weigh them on the spot, I assume it's only around 10-15kg all up. About the induction just keep in mind that the 60 degree that goes on to the throttle body needs something to pack it out a little as the throttle body is not 76mm it's around 71mm I cut a small ring of 3" silicone tube and put that on the throttle body then the 3" 60 degree over that. You can see it's blue in the picture, just needs a little trimming to get rid of the excess.

You can always get a reducer but finding a 60 degree reducing elbow will be hard, haven't seen one to be honest let alone finding a place which do 60 degree elbows! Samco definitely do them, pricey but quality.

1986.5 SUPRA 7M-GE

Jan 25, 2012
Colorado
Really.. I had no idea that the throttle body was just less than 3"? And yea I didn't order Samco but it was really tough finding a 60 degree 3" and I paid a little less than the samco one

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
1986.5 SUPRA 7M-GE;1890387 said:
Really.. I had no idea that the throttle body was just less than 3"?

Sorry I should have mentioned it I assumed people would know, you could always trim off just under an inch of your elbow and put it on the throttle body then have your 60 degree over it? I only did this since a reducer was not an option the only way out would be to get smaller alloy tube and a smaller 60 degree elbow but I wanted the alloy pipe to be at least 3" plus It's really neat and not rough I took my time and it actually looks great, was my initial thoughts and the guy also mentioned it at the store.

Are you doing what I did with the straight pipe and having one end expanded ? I had the local muffler shop do it for $5

1986.5 SUPRA 7M-GE

Jan 25, 2012
Colorado
No I just bought a straight coupler with a reducer from 76mm to 81mm I was wondering how you got the pipe looking that way lol. And what did you do with your vaccuum hose that comes of the intake piping to the P.S. did you just block it off?

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
1986.5 SUPRA 7M-GE;1890399 said:
No I just bought a straight coupler with a reducer from 76mm to 81mm I was wondering how you got the pipe looking that way lol. And what did you do with your vaccuum hose that comes of the intake piping to the P.S. did you just block it off?

Haha yeah I think it looks neat, personally.

Well at the moment it is just sitting in the bay, my plans are to look in to it more when I get the chance for now I might put a small air filter on the end and mount it somewhere near the AFM.
I guess there are a few ways to do it I though of getting a small catch can type component and running the vacuum line to my firewall but I'm not too sure if it's even needed as of yet.

Picture from over the weekend, was definitely a good one. The weather over here has been amazing but back to work in the office on monday...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Full sized spare wheel and 89+ rear carpet cleaned and put in today, looks a lot better with this in.

Strut brace should be here by the end of next week then can get the plastic trim back in with the gaps cut for the strut bar to fit through,

p1894178_1.jpg

p1894178_2.jpg

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Yesterday I received my Cusco rear strut brace and installed it, I was able to cut the boot plastics to suit the strut with the help of my father, I think it's a really tidy job. I'm keeping the rear plastics in now you can compare these photos with the ones above.
Next up will be a catch can running off the camshaft covers will upload any other progress also, and the hatch leak seams to have been solved but time will tell.

p1895585_1.jpg

p1895585_2.jpg

p1895585_3.jpg

p1895585_4.jpg

p1895585_5.jpg

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Quick edit of above post, many people say the strut does nothing well maybe it doesn't do much but in my case it was noticeable that it was in, less creaking/noises in the rear and on a few daily corners I drive it felt as if there was less over all body flex but time will tell and everyone has there own opinions on the braces + it supports my rear seat which is great.

Atlas

You call this a sandwich?
Aug 22, 2012
Clovis CA
That cusco bar looks great! I've been wanting to do this mod as well. Good to hear you like it.

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Thanks man took a while to get over to New Zealand but was worth the wait, a little bit if modification is needed to the plastic surrounds but other than that its quick and easy looks the part also. I wonder if the rear seat can still go up with a C pillar brace I'm sure that would stiffen the rear up a lot more.

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
I am going away until the new year and would like to wish everyone a very merry Christmas and happy new year, hope you all have a great break if your taking one and keep up the progress on your supras. Will be taking my supra with me so will be a good run for her. Not much to update as I have been off work for the past month however the car passed it's six monthly warrant of fitness with no issues so that is one less thing to worry about over my break. Anyway here is a photo of the car as it sits today I am running out of things to do but I have a few things on my mind for what's to come next.

First off I am going to lower the rear of the car a little more, I just need to find a pair of spring compressors which when tightening the spring compressors, the thread makes its way into the tool other than gradually protruding upwards (so I can compress the spring and lower the cir clip on my shock while on the car) I know eBay.com sells a few pairs, I will also need to source a catch can to run off the two cam covers.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Jef

Jul 18, 2010
Belgium
ryansmith;1890250 said:
Okay so I haven't added any photos of my engine bay as I have seen that almost every bay on here is super clean and tidy and thought I'd wait until the bay was a bit tidier before I did but here it is, it's not much but as you can see I have replaced my valve covers now and also sorted out the poorly modified induction that the previous owner attempted. She's running very well and so far has been super reliable. Photos are from a GoPro.

p1916602_1.jpg

p1916602_2.jpg

Might i suggest you try and seperate that air filter from the rest of the engine bay, since all your doing now is sucking in hot air :)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
REAper;1916602 said:
Might i suggest you try and seperate that air filter from the rest of the engine bay, since all your doing now is sucking in hot air :)

I'm guilty of the same, unfortunately. I'd love to build a box for it, but haven't yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Hi all, some unfortunate news I have had to sell my Supra as I have been out of work for a few months and I was keeping it safe at my parents house. Times are tough but I'm sure I will get back in to the supra game as some stage so will leave these photos here.

p1916994_1.jpg

p1916994_2.jpg

p1916994_3.jpg

p1916994_4.jpg