Rusty springs

suprabob

Sep 10, 2008
Newport, RI
Hey guys, I just made my intro and posted some pics of my supra a little while ago under the Introductions section. I've done a couple minor fixes to the car, but it definitely needs new rear struts. It's a 1990 Turbo Targa with a 5 speed and without TEMS. I bought some KYB GR-2 Struts for the rear to replace the bad ones. PepBoys told me they would replace them last Saturday so I took the car there at about 2pm and at 6pm they called saying that their mechanic hadn't done anything yet but noticed some rust on the springs. Now, this car is almost 20 years old and they are probably the original springs and I don't know how any 20 year old car wouldn't have rust on the springs. The undercarriage is completely clean and there is no rust on the inner wheel wells or the spring housing to the strut mounts. This car has spent most of it's life garaged and is unmolested. I think the guys at PepBoys were running out of time and just didn't want to start the job that late in the day and used rusty springs as an excuse. The suspension doesn't sqeak at all. Are rusty springs a reason to replace them? Should I clean them up to check for damage? What's everyone's best advice? Thanks.

Attachments

• CIMG0554.JPG
    CIMG0554.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 15
  • CIMG0552.JPG
    CIMG0552.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 19
  • CIMG0555.JPG
    CIMG0555.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 17

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
time to go aftermarket springs with those shocks =) I have h+r springs and kyb gr2 and i like how the car sits looks very agressive. Ill post up some pics later

The Dude

no more supra
Apr 5, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
They're old and they will rust a bit. My old supra's springs were the same way when I removed them. If you're replacing the shocks you might as well get replace those (most likely)worn springs also. Btw, your supra looks absolutely MINT! Original paint?

maximous

MK3 STUDENT
Mar 30, 2008
hendersonville
If they are oem they would need to be changed, they tend to lose thier spring rate or stiffness you would get better response out of a newer set of oem replacements or drop springs. i would also consider replacing the struts also just to get that new car feel!:icon_bigg

suprabob

Sep 10, 2008
Newport, RI
Thanks. I replaced the rear shocks with KYB-GR2's and I purchased a set of springs that look a lot better than mine from another member on here. I'm just waiting for them to come in. They are also TEMS and since my car already had the harness for it I've decided to try them out.

BTW, nice pic in the profile :) I've got to get me one of those.
maximous;1175403 said:
If they are oem they would need to be changed, they tend to lose thier spring rate or stiffness you would get better response out of a newer set of oem replacements or drop springs. i would also consider replacing the struts also just to get that new car feel!:icon_bigg